Tracking

Saturday, January 28, 2012

2012 - A Year for More Reading

Another one of my personal goals for 2012 is to read more.   In the past few years, I've read a book here and there, but I've never really considered myself an avid reader.   I've decided to focus more of my free time on reading rather than surfing the internet or watching TV.  As a natural result of Ironman training, my TV viewing has decreased dramatically the last couple of years.   I've paired down the number of shows I DVR and find myself not just mindlessly channel surfing very often.  Instead I've accumulated a number of books I want to read and even pulled out a list of "must-read" books compiled by my favorite college professor at Oklahoma State.  I've hung onto the list all these years because I knew one day I'd want to go back and make an effort to read them.   Currently my goal is to read at least 15 books this year.   I decided on 15 because it will force me to read more than 1 a month which seemed a little too easy.  I've already finished my book for January which was "Catching Fire" the 2nd installment of the Hunger Games trilogy.  Although the Hunger Games books are not hard reads, they are enjoyable and are a good place for me to start as I get back into the habit of reading.   I already have the next few books lined up and eventually will probably get a Kindle or Nook to allow for more convenient access to a variety of books.

On the training front, all systems are a go at the moment.  I just finished up my long run for the week with the local running club.   I ran a little over 13 miles along the Oklahoma River near downtown OKC.   It was a cold, crisp morning with light winds which is nearly perfect for marathon training.   I've been having a little bit of tightness in my right calf so I'll get out The Stick and the foam roller to help loosen it up before Tuesday when I hit the streets again.   The running feels strong though.  I'm pretty happy with where I am currently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment