Tracking

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Oklahoma State is 10-0 ; Early Season Race Schedule

For the first time in school history, Oklahoma State is 10-0 in college football.  It's a great time to be a Cowboy fan!  As a proud alum, it's hard for me not to boast a little about my alma mater.  We are inching closer and closer to a very special season.  Two more games left.  Only two more games.  The tension and anticipation are mounting in Orange Country USA.  Go Pokes!

This week I also have nailed down my first few races of the 2012 season.   I've decided to run the Livestrong Half Marathon in Austin, Texas, on Feb 19, 2012, and the OKC Memorial Full Marathon on April 29, 2012.   I've wanted to run the Austin race for a couple of years and it finally is going to work well in my schedule.  I have a free place to stay in Austin so it will be an easy, relatively inexpensive trip.  I am finally going to run my hometown marathon this year as well.  I'm excited to train and race in OKC next year.  Lately I've been doing some runs on the last few miles of the course to help visualize myself shattering my old marathon time in the first steps towards my goal of qualifying for Boston.   I think my familiarity with the course and local weather conditions will really help me formulate a strong race strategy.   My coach really set me up for success this past year running the half marathon in OKC and I expect to fully utilize his knowledge in 2012.  

The back half of 2012 is coming into better focus.  I think I've decided to do the Redman 70.3 triathlon in OKC next September as a way to effectively utilize the summer months when running becomes less enjoyable. It will also help me continue to improve upon my triathlon base and set me up to tackle another Ironman in 2013.  After Redman 70.3, I may run another marathon if I stay healthy and there are several options that would be relatively easy trips:  Route 66 in Tulsa, White Rock in Dallas, Prairie Fire in Wichita, and Kansas City marathon.   I'll also throw my name in the hat for the NYC Marathon again and try my luck.  The rest of the year I plan to fill in with some local races I normally do like Run for Lucky 5K, Redbud 10K, Route 66 Triathlon, and a couple of cycling tours.   It should be a good way for me to stay active and not break the bank after two pretty expensive years in 2010 and 2011.   This sport can get expensive in a hurry if you don't watch out.  It's time to take advantage of the free race entries provided by my employer.

It's time for me to get back to watching some college football and trying to sift through some old training plans to get some workout ideas for the next couple of weeks.  I'll officially start my training for the Austin half marathon the week after Thanksgiving.  I'm excited to get back into a running training program.   It's been way too long.   Run happy friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment