Tracking

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Ironman Louisville Highlight Video

I was surfing around Facebook today and noticed that someone had posted a highlight video of Ironman Louisville 2011.   Apparently Ironman just posted it to their site within the past couple of days.   As I watched the video it brought back so many emotions:  pride, joy, desire, eagerness, restlessness, envy.  The pursuit of the Ironman tested me on so many levels.  I miss it.  I envy those who are about to do Ironman Arizona.  I'm proud of what I accomplished.   I still get tears of joy when I think about those last few steps.  I'm eager to do another one.  I'm also getting restless.

I'm getting to a point in my "offseason" where I'm ready for more structure.  I'm ready to have a schedule.   Something to help me improve.  The last 7 weeks or so I've been flying by the seat of my pants and just doing whatever I feel like.   It's mostly consisted of shorter workouts and not much swimming or biking.  I've been running at least 3 times a week.  I've been doing some strength-training.  I've tried to swim when I could force myself into the pool.  I've been oddly absent from the bike though.  I don't really have a reason.   It's just kinda happened that way.   My goal is now to get back on a schedule post-Thanksgiving.   I'll pick up my half-marathon training plan for the Livestrong Austin Half Marathon in February and really start focusing on getting back into a regular triathlon offseason schedule.  I'll still do yoga.  I'll still do pilates.  I'll still strength-train as well.  I also will make sure I'm adding back in swimming and biking as I strive to come out of this offseason faster and stronger in all three disciplines.

One area that's been highly successful for me is weight loss/management.  I'm now at a weight that I haven't seen since junior high.   I stepped on the scales on Monday and weighed in at 173 pounds.   I've lost 20 pounds over the course of the year, most of it coming the last 7 weeks as I've really buckled down on my nutrition.  I've been eating lots of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, and low-fat dairy.  I've limited alcohol intake and have virtually cut out all forms of junk food and mindless snacking.   It's been a huge boost to my motivation and focus.  I can see the results and know that when I start training again that running, biking, and swimming with 20 less pounds is going to make a huge difference.   The next month and a half will be a challenge with all of the holiday celebrations, but I'll do my best to come out on the other end in a good spot.   Boston qualifying isn't going to happen if I can't continue to lean up and stay on the right track.   I'm focused and ready.  2012 is really going to be a great year.

Here is the Ironman Louisville 2011 Highlight Video.  Enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment