Tracking

Friday, July 8, 2011

Injuries are frustrating

There's my Captain Obvious quote of the day.  Injuries are frustrating.  Sadly, I have nothing good to report on the injury front.  By this point, I had hoped to be able to share some sign of improvement, but I'm actually going in the other direction.  After altering my bike fit, my ride on Tuesday went fairly well.  I still had some discomfort during my ride, but it was manageable and an improvement.  Wednesday night I went for a quick swim after work and then headed home to give running a shot.  I talked to my coach and we thought it'd be OK to go for a short run to test out the Achilles and see where I stood for my scheduled long run the next day.  I was not very optimistic based on how my Achilles felt all day, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.  After 2.75 miles I had to stop running completely and gingerly walked my way home.  It was pretty frustrating to realize how far off I am from actually being able to run and run well.  I really thought I would see more progress, but unfortunately it wasn't time yet.  After limping out of bed on Thursday, I decided it was time to call the doctor.  I now have an appointment with my sports med doctor next Tuesday and will see what my options are for the next 7 weeks.  Fortunately, my sports doc is a multiple Ironman finisher so he knows where I'm coming from when I say I really need help.  I'm hoping he can conjure up something to help speed the healing or at least calm my nerves about the race.  I unfortunately let the negative thoughts creep in on Wednesday night and Thursday.  For the first time since I started training, I began doubting myself and my ability to pull myself together before Louisville.  I have talked myself off the edge, but I know I have a long road ahead of me.  I'm going to have to get really familiar with the pool and the elliptical and hope that I can get in my long rides without too much of a problem.  It might not be pretty in Louisville, but I'm stubborn enough and committed enough to do what's necessary the next 7 weeks. 

Today was also my turn to log my volunteer hours for my company.  Each summer our company gives us 4 hours of paid time off to go volunteer at a local organization of our choice.  This year I teamed up with a few other people from my group and went to an Equine Therapy Center just north of Oklahoma City.  The Center focuses on helping at-risk or disadvantaged kids by having them interact with horses, learn responsibility, and provide a positive environment where they feel safe and can work on their problems.  It was a really cool afternoon.  We cleaned out the horse stalls, bathed and groomed the horses, and put them all in their stalls for the evening.  I could definitely see myself going back up there to volunteer on my own time.  I know they could always use the help and I am able-bodied and willing.  I'm glad our company encourages us to get involved and show support for our local organizations.  Volunteer work definitely makes the world go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment