Tracking

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ironman 70.3 Kansas - Quick Review

First off all, I want to say thanks to Jeff over at http://stilltri-ing.blogspot.com/ for the encouraging comments this week.  The support from my blog, Twitter, and Facebook made it almost like I had a virtual cheering section on the course today.  Knowing that people were keeping tabs on me while I was out on the course pushed me to keep going.

I'm about to head to bed so I won't write a full report, but I do want to say that I had a great time out on the course today.  Overall I'm very happy with results and can't really fathom a better day for my first 70.3 race.  I ended up performing better than expected due to a strong day on the bike and run.  My swim was right at 45 minutes in a very tough, choppy lake so I'm happy there.  My bike came in quite a bit stronger than I expected and my legs felt fresh coming out of T2 so I knew I had a good run ahead of me.  I ended up gaining 154 spots in the overall rankings on the run.  I was passing people the entire run and am really, really happy with my effort.  My legs felt great for the first 8 miles and then fatigue started to set in.  The last 3 or 4 miles were pretty tough, but that's when you know you left it all out on the course.  To top it all off, I got my finisher's medal from the one and only Chrissie Wellington after running down the yellow brick road finishing chute.  It was a great way to finish off a memorable day.  Here are the official splits:

Swim - 44:58
T1 - 3:52
Bike - 3:04:37
T2 - 1:59
Run - 1:48:59
Overall finish : 5:44:25

I ended up blowing my expectations out of the water and even beat my "best case scenario" time I had in my head before the race.  I'm very, very happy with my race and now am ready for a week of relaxing with my family in Colorado.  I'll try to post a full report soon, but vacation will be first and foremost.  Thanks again for the support along the way.  We're now 11 weeks to Louisville.  Dream Big.  Work Hard.  Make It Happen.

3 comments:

  1. Good job, my man. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I would have known you'd get your medal from Chrissy Wellington I would have asked you to get her phone # for me...to discuss training of course. You earned an awesome race, congrats!

    ReplyDelete