Tracking

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hottest June on Record

After today, OKC will have recorded the hottest June on record.  Yep, it's been a scorcher.  We have officially logged all 30 days with high temperatures 90 or above.  Ten of those days also broke 100 with 106 being the highest temp recorded during the month.  Needless to say, it's been pretty brutal training.  Luckily, I had a week hiatus in Colorado and enjoyed a nice, cool week of mountain air.  I'd give just about anything to go back there right now.  The forecast looks like more of the same.  Basically we're stuck in a drought with a massive heat dome overhead.  I think the icing on the cake is the wind though.  The wind has been brutal.  It's like someone blowing a hair dryer in your face at 30mph every day.  Finally the last day or two it's eased up a bit, but we'll be back to the 20+mph winds for the weekend and beyond.  It's definitely made training a challenge.

As far as training goes, I think the injury bug has finally caught up with me.  I've been struggling with a lower calf/Achilles issue since Kansas 70.3 on June 12th.  I thought the week off in Colorado would help, but the hiking, climbing stairs, and just general activity didn't seem to do me any favors.   I wasn't able to fully rest it and now that I'm back in OKC I've been trying to be as kind to it as possible.  I've been doing hot/cold treatments, light stretching, foam roller, and anything else I can think of to try and nurse it back to health.  I've also stopped running completely and am focusing on the other two disciplines.  Unfortunately, biking also tends to make it flare up so I've had to be cautious about where and how much I ride.  Last weekend I got in 4 hours of riding, but the last 30 minutes or so were uncomfortable due to tightness/pain in my Achilles.  Hills definitely tend to aggravate it so I've been trying to be cautious of spinning up hills and avoiding them if possible.  I know I need hill work for Louisville's course, but competing at close to full health is more of a priority at this point.  Thankfully it's not getting worse, but unfortunately it's not getting much better either.  I have been able to get in a few extra swims and have been logging some time on the elliptical to help maintain some run fitness.  Basically at this point I'm going to try to survive and advance the next 8 weeks.  I know I still have time to get ready for Louisville so I'll do the best I can to minimize the impacts on training.  The good news is I'm keeping a pretty positive outlook on the whole scenario.  I know I'll find a way to make it work.  I always do.  I just hope the body cooperates and plays along with my plans. 

Nothing else really going on at the moment.  I'm definitely looking forward to a long weekend.  I'll plan on getting in a ride on Saturday and then will take Sunday/Monday off to enjoy time with family and friends.  My hope is that I'll be poolside on Sunday and spending Monday with my folks.  Unfortunately we are in a burn ban currently so it looks like we'll have to forgo fireworks this year.  Dang La Nina and your drought-inducing pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment