Tracking

Saturday, April 23, 2011

We Run to Remember - Every Day of the Year

Thursday was one of those days where I didn't want to run. Shocker, I know. I went to the OKC Thunder vs Denver Nuggets game on Wednesday night so I woke up Thursday pretty tired and unmotivated. The fact we were off work on Friday due to Good Friday made my evening run even more unappealing. I fought back and forth with myself all day about my long run. Should I run after work or should I skip it and do it Friday morning? Either way I knew I would get it in, it was just a matter of when and where. I went ahead and grabbed all my gear and nutrition from my house when I went home for lunch and took it back to work with me. All afternoon I had it in my head that I was going to skip out on my run and do it the next morning. As the work day drew to a close, I looked at the weather and noticed a temp of 65 and light winds. Too good to pass up no matter how unmotivated I was feeling that day. I changed clothes in my office and then headed out to plant my water and Gatorade bottles along my running path. As I was driving to drop my water bottles, I noticed something different. Something that made me thankful to be able to go run. Something that made me remember why we shouldn't take a single day for granted. Here's what I saw:

  
Talk about a kick in the butt.  Here, marking my course for the night, were the names of those killed 16 years ago in the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah building in Downtown OKC.  My usual Thursday evening route from my office follows about 3 or 4 miles of the OKC Memorial Marathon course and along the route the marathon crew has placed the names of all of those killed that awful morning of April 19, 1995.  Seeing sign after sign of the names of those who are no longer with us made me thankful for the opportunity to run.  I suddenly felt energized and blessed to be alive and able to run.  I know it sounds corny, but it's true.  Life is a blessing.  Being healthy and able to run is a blessing.  Being able to remember those who passed before us along your running route is a blessing.  I paid tribute to every name I passed, quietly reading each name out loud and letting them know that we all remember.  We all remember how it felt.  We'll never fully understand the pain and suffering, but we remember.  Running that night made me even more grateful for my place in this world.  You never know what day will be your last.  Run for those who can't.  Run for those who won't.  Run because you love it.  Run to remember - every day of your life.  

Finally, I want to wish everyone a Happy Easter.  Regardless of your religious affiliation or lack thereof, I want to leave you guys with a YouTube video.  I saw Carrie Underwood in concert last year and she sang this song as part of her setlist.  It was amazing, powerful, and an example of how truly gifted she is as a vocalist.  Last night I saw it again on CBS during a show commemorating the female stars of country music.  I'd like to share it with you now because I think it's that good.  Please watch for yourself:


1 comment:

  1. Those flags are very inspiring for sure. After mile 19 last year when I finally had to stop & get my ankle taped, I just focused on getting from flag to flag and knew that I'd get to the finish eventually. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete