Tracking

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No NYC Marathon This Year

Sad news.  I found out today that I didn't get selected in the ING NYC Marathon lottery this year.  I'm actually a little more bummed about it than I thought I would be honestly.  I went into the lottery not really sure I was going to be able to go to NYC this fall, but as the lottery date drew closer, my anticipation for returning to the Big Apple grew stronger.  Not getting selected is probably a blessing in disguise.  Plus, this one denial makes me one step closer to gaining guaranteed entry.  After three straight denials, you get guaranteed entry the fourth year.  I'll at least be running NYC again in 2014, if not earlier.

After hearing about my NYC situation, I had a friend ask me to throw my name in for the Houston marathon in 2012.  I'm strongly considering this race now.  My friend lives in Houston and offered up a place to stay that weekend.  Houston is also the site for the 2012 USA Olympic trials.  All of the big American runners will be there trying to qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London.  You know Ryan, Meb, Desi, Kara, Shalane, and a host of other star power will be there running to get a spot on the Olympic team.  There are about 2,000 guaranteed entry spots that open up in May.  OKC Memorial is actually one of the races listed as a common qualifier.  Technically any race can be used, but OKC made the list of events specifically singled out.  Unless the weather sucks or I just have a really bad day, I should be able to use my OKC Memorial time for one of the guaranteed spots.  If not, I can throw my name in the lottery there for a spot in the crowd.  The race is on January 14, 2012, so it would allow me some recovery time post-Louisville and I'd get to train during the fall - that's an A+ in my books.  The only downside is that I'd be training through football season again - definitely something to consider.  I have season tickets to Oklahoma State University and we're going to be good again this year.  I'm sure I'll be wanting to make a few road trips as well.  We'll see how this weekend goes and take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment