Tracking

Monday, March 28, 2011

March in Okarche Duathlon

First of all, I want to apologize for the lag time between posts.  This past week was a blur and I never had a chance to sit down and write.  I thought about my blog a lot.  I even wondered if this once-a-week posting was going to be the new norm.  I hope not.  The worst thing about not having time to post is that I haven't had a chance to read any other blogs either.  I feel behind in the blogosphere.  I'll catch up eventually.

This last week was extremely busy with work, my birthday, and other obligations.  I didn't have a chance to sleep much and I was completely wiped out by Friday.  I'm not meant to stay up late and get up early.  I just can't function.  I know this, but quite often my schedule doesn't work out to allow me to have my optimal sleep schedule.  This past week just happened to be the worst week of sleep I've had in a long time.  I finally made myself skip my run on Sunday so I could sleep in and catch up on rest.  My mind needed it.  My body needed it even more.  I slept a solid 12 hours and didn't move.  It finally put me back on track and I now feel like I'm back on schedule.  Hopefully this week cooperates.

Saturday was my first ever duathlon race.  I raced in the March in Okarche Duathlon which is the first race of the TRI-OKC season.  It's known for cold and windy conditions and this year's event didn't disappoint.  For two weeks the forecast was showing mid-70s, sunny, and nice, but of course, the day before the event, the forecast shifted to 40, cloudy, and windy.   If this had been a running event, I would have been OK, but when you throw in a bike leg, it just complicated matters.  I didn't know what to wear because I knew I'd be burning up on the run and freezing on the bike.  I don't own many cold-weather cycling clothes or accessories, because I've only owned a bike for a little over a year.  I didn't bike outside at all this past winter so my options were pretty limited.  I made my best runner's attempt to layer in some warm clothing and just prayed my feet would stay warm enough to get off the bike and run the last leg of the race.  Overall, I was pretty pleased with my race.  My run is in good shape at the moment and both of my 5K's were around 22:30 which is not far off the PR I set a couple of weeks ago.  I definitely think I have some faster 5K times in my legs, but we won't find out anytime soon.  The bike leg was pretty lackluster.  I ended up logging a 1:03:30 time for the 30K bike.  The first and last 4 miles of the course were very, very rough with a lot of potholes and uneven roads.  I struggled to keep in a rhythm and the stiff crosswind made the bumps and rough roads even more treacherous.  Every time I hit a bump the wind would catch my wheel and push it sideways.  I was incredibly tense the entire bike ride and my shoulders and neck showed the wear the most.  I heard from several people that they experienced the same thing on the bike course so it made me feel a little better.  I definitely have some work to do on the bike, but the good thing is that I learn something on every ride.  My official time for March in Okarche was 1:52:11.  I'll take it.

The rest of the weekend I spent time celebrating my birthday with family and friends.  It was nice to catch up with everyone and enjoy some time together before my life turns into a whirlwind of biking, swimming, and running.  My schedule for this week is now laid out in front of me.  The good news is I don't have to wake up at 4:30 in the morning.  Thank goodness.  I'll try to be better about updating this week.  I think I'll be back to a semi-normal routine for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment