Tracking

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spring Fever?

I've noticed the last few weeks that I am really lacking about things to write about and my motivation to post has waned.  I'm attributing it to the crazy work weeks and the repeat snowmaggedon disasters the past 2 weeks.  I can't say that I've been overly enthused to hop on my computer and slam out a blog post after spending countless hours banging my head against my keyboard at work.  However, I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  The weather is moderating in a big hurry and I'm getting back to my old self.  I'm still kinda antsy about the upcoming training/racing season, but I'm trying to just be patient and let it come to me.  I still have several weeks before I get into the meat of my training schedule.  The good thing is I have a ski trip the first week of March to distract me and keep my mind in more of a recreational, base-building mode.  It will be my last week of normalcy before all my time and focus will be devoted to triathlon training. 

Today was supposed to be my "long run" of my half marathon training schedule, but yesterday I got a little coach-happy at Team-in-Training practice and logged 8.42 miles running with the Team.  I have made it a habit to wear my Garmin on my coaching days now so I can keep track of my mileage and factor it into my weekly totals.  I'm really trying to stay focused and healthy this year so I feel like this needs to be considered in my overall base mileage.  It's usually run at a variety of paces, some walking, and I stop to help at water stops as well.   It's not necessarily "good mileage" as far as training goes, but it's still running, and I can't discount the mileage in the grand scheme of things.  Due to the mileage yesterday, I'm going to take my bike outside for the first time in a very long time.  I'm about to change out my trainer tire and get ready to hit the road with the Team-in-Training cycling crew.  They are starting their journey to the Lake Tahoe Century Ride in June so I'll probably tag along on quite a few of their rides over the next few months.  Safety in numbers!

Next week looks great weather-wise in OKC.  I'll definitely be doing all of my runs outside, but I'm still probably going to get stuck on the trainer during the week for the bike workouts.  I still don't have quite enough daylight after work to get in a good workout.   I guess I'll get really good at changing out my tires the next few weeks.  It's about time to put the bike rack back on the car - spring is almost here!  With the arrival of spring, I'm also going to be purchasing my triathlon bike soon.  I've pushed it back a few months because of other unexpected expenses, but I think I'll be ready to purchase it after my return from the ski trip.  It will be just in time to be able to take advantage of daylight savings time and warmer weather.  Spring fever is definitely setting in!

No comments:

Post a Comment