Tracking

Monday, February 21, 2011

President's Day - Worker Bee

I think we were one of the very few trading shops actually open today since it was a bank/trading holiday.  The good thing about the market being closed is that I didn't walk into chaos.  It was odd to be able to just come in and leisurely start my day.  Definitely a stark change from the usual frenetic pace of the first few hours of my day.

The swim today was craptastic.  I think it was something in the water though.  Even the ex-college swimmer in the lane with me said he was filling pretty weak today too.  Believe me, his weak still laps me quite often.  Swimming with an ex-college swimmer in your lane is a perfect way to shoot your confidence and realize you have a long way to go still.  I considered saying no to him when he asked to share a lane with me because I knew he'd make me feel like a sloth in the water.  Haha, very selfish I know.  The pool was packed today too.  It must be time for everyone's training schedules to kick into gear because all the triathletes were in there.  I'm definitely the weakest swimmer of the group too so it's a little disheartening to have everyone in the pool with me.  The good news (I guess) is that I'll be moving my swims to the AM pretty soon.  I have to be at work at 7 so it'll be quite the adjustment, but I've heard that very few people swim in the morning.  It will be nice to have my own lane because I get distracted when the pool is busy.  I focus too much on what's going on around me.  It's nice to be able to zone in and try to make myself better.

Finally, I'll leave you with a quote I pulled from another blog I read : The Simple Dollar.  It's not an endurance sports blog.  It's actually a personal finance blog that I started reading many years ago which helps me stay focused on my long-term financial goals.  In a recent post, the writer shared ten pieces of inspiration and here was one of the quotes:

“The truth is that most people have a better chance to be uncommon (successful) by effort than by natural gifts. Anyone could give that effort in his or her chosen endeavor, but the typical person doesn’t, choosing to do only enough to get by.” – Tony Dungy

It seemed pretty fitting for the year ahead.  I'm not naturally gifted, but my work ethic and effort are rarely lacking.  I think most endurance athletes share this trait.  Keep your chin up and let's get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment