Tracking

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Getting Back to Semi-Normal

Work has finally started to settle down a bit after 4 days of madness.  Temps are warming up a bit so the snow is melting off.  As of last night, the roads were still pretty mean.  However, today we are seeing sunshine and low 40s so everything is thawing out and the roads are clearing up.  The Mazda 3 doesn't really like the icy mess we had left over from the blizzard so it's very thankful for the warmer weather.  Yesterday we actually picked up another 3 inches of snow, but it was that awesome, peaceful snow that you just want to sit and watch.  No wind, just quiet bliss.  I had a chance to just sit in my car and soak it in after work.  It helped relieve some stress and was a great way to start my weekend.

Not only is work getting back to normal, but I've also gotten back to training.  I've logged a couple of rides on the trainer and got in a relaxing 4 mile run on the treadmill last night.  It's nice to not have a complete bust of a week in the books.  I only missed 2 days completely so I think I did pretty good considering the bleak outlook earlier in the week.  Tomorrow I'm going to try and get in another run, hopefully outside, but it will depend on how tonight goes weather-wise.  I think we're supposed to pick up another 1-3" of snow.  If it's just snow and the roads aren't icy I'll definitely layer up and hit the streets.  The crazy thing is that we're supposed to get another decent storm on Tues/Wed.  It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time inside training next week as well.

Finally, my training schedule is pretty much set.  I'll start officially training for the half marathon next week and will still incorporate biking and swimming to keep my base-building routine in full swing.  I won't officially start the road to IM Kansas 70.3 and IM Louisville until mid-March, but mentally I'm already there.  I consider this to be the preseason with a couple of races on the schedule for March.  I'm really getting antsy, but also trying to remind myself that I have a very long road ahead of me.  While I'm not putting in a lot of long workouts (pretty much nothing over an hour), I feel like my fitness has come back pretty quickly.  I feel like I'm setting myself up for a good year ahead.  I'm learning lessons and becoming more in tune with my body each year.  I'm starting to realize my limits, picking out my strengths, and making recovery a more focused effort.  I hope it helps keep the injury bug away this year.  I also read last night that Ironman Louisville has less than 200 spots until general entry is closed.  I'm kinda shocked it hasn't sold out yet, but after reading all the comments on Ironman's Facebook site, I can understand.  I guess people don't like heat, hills, and non-wetsuit legal races.  Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment