Tracking

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Week One Is In the Books

Week one of my return to training is in the books.  While I haven't "officially" began my Ironman Louisville training, this was my unofficial start.  The reasoning is because now I'm ready.  I'm ready to start the long trek to Louisville and no better way to get my mind in the right place than to hit the ground running.  The plan I'm following right now is a basic offseason plan uploaded to my TrainingPeaks account by my coach.  It's very bike heavy and workouts generally last about an hour.  I have yet to actually get my bike out of my apartment, but my time on the indoor trainer has been frequent.  I'm only swimming one day a week currently because I'm trying to ease myself back into the triathlon routine and we're all aware that swimming is my least favorite of the disciplines.  My total mileage for the week was 63 miles on the bike/run/swim.  It's the most mileage I've put into one week since mid-August.  I know it's not much compared to some of you avid cyclists, but I'm happy with the return to training.  The coming week I'll resume a similar schedule and hope that work/life stays tame so the consistency can continue. 

Tonight I also had a chance to speak with my coach about the upcoming year.  We discussed my race schedule, the training methodology we're going to use, and caught up a bit.  It felt good to discuss the year ahead and plan out more of my year.  I told him I had a freakout earlier in the week and he said that's normal.  He said I may have another one when he uploads my actual training plan, but I think I'll be ok.  I've been there and have moved on.  It's time to tackle this head-on.  No more more worrying.  Dream big.  Work hard.  Make it happen.

Before I leave you this week, I heard a song today while I was on my trainer that really struck home.  It took me to a place where I was envisioning what it's going to be like running down the finishing chute of Ironman Louisville.    The lights, the crowds, the emotions.  This goes out to all of you training for something big in 2011.  Remember this moment. 
 
I said remember this moment
In the back of my mind
The time we stood with our shaking hands
The crowds in stands went wild
We were the kings and the queens
And they read off our names
The night you danced like you knew our lives would never be the same
You held your head like a hero on a history book page
It was the end of a decade
But the start of an age
Long live the walls we crashed through
How the kingdom lights shined just for me and you
I was screaming long live all the magic we made
And bring on all the pretenders
One day we will be remembered

I said remember this feeling
I pass the pictures around
Of all the years that we stood there on the sidelines
Wishing for right now
We are the kings and the queens
You traded your baseball cap for a crown
When they gave us our trophies
And we held them up for our town
And the cynics were outraged
Screaming this is absurd
Cause for a moment a band of thieves in ripped up jeans got to rule the world

1 comment:

  1. That's so great, good luck on your training, you're going to do great in Louisville.

    ReplyDelete