Tracking

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Looking back

Today was my turn to help out with our Team-in-Training marathon teams.  I'm still only assistant coaching so my role is pretty minimal, but I enjoy being a part of the process.  It's great to see people running and becoming hooked.  It's the least I can do to give back to a sport that's changed my life.  Today I set up a water stop about 3.5 miles into our run course so I had a few moments to reflect until the runners made it to my section.  It was a cold, crisp morning and there was only a slight breeze.  The sun was just coming up and there wasn't a lot of traffic out on the streets.  It was a quiet and reflective type of morning.  As I waited, my mind began to think back to 2 years ago.  It was January 2009 and I was in a rut.  I didn't have a lot of motivation, I had gained some weight, and I really wasn't doing anything for my health.  I was a regular member at the local Y, but all I did was lift some weights and waste some time in the evenings.  I was pretty much stuck in neutral and I really could have fallen in either direction : reverse or drive.  Luckily for me, my company encourages a physically active lifestyle and one month later I was signing up for my first half marathon courtesy of my employer.  I easily could have fallen deeper into a rut and woke up 3 years later at age 30 wondering how I'd ended up getting so off course.  Instead, here I am, 2 years later with a new me.  I'm motivated, active, and happy.  I've fallen in love with endurance sports.  I've met people who not only make me smile, but also make me a better man.  I'm constantly reminded of how lucky I am to be healthy and able to chase my dreams.  I'm humbled by the opportunity to be a positive influence on my family and friends.  I've been told by a countless number of people who say I've inspired them over the past 2 years.  People who have known me for most of my life are constantly telling me they are proud of me and want to know how they can get started.  I really can't imagine my life without endurance sports.  Helping out with the Team is my way of saying thank you.  Thank you for making me into a better person.  Thank you for making me feel alive again.  Thank you for the opportunity to make a difference.  Thank you for a lifetime of memories.  Thank you for the challenges.  Thank you for the tears.  Thank you for the confidence.  Thank you for the determination.  Thank you for helping me dream big.  Lastly, thank you for what lies ahead.  I know it's going to be a great ride.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! You're such an inspiration, keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete