Tracking

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'd take 50's every day of the year

I know it's not likely to happen except for those of you who live in California, but I think I'd take 50 degree weather every day of the year.  Ok, maybe 60's, but it's hard to complain about anything in the 50 to 70 range.

Today was beautiful running weather here in Oklahoma.  I'm slowly starting to get back out on the roads and it feels great.  I think I've finally convinced myself that it's not going to hurt, so it's ok to run.  The past month and a half I've avoided most running because I didn't want it to hurt.  I wanted to be healthy so I took an extended leave of absence.  Last week was the first time I'd ran and my knee didn't hurt at all since mid-August.  The last part of my training for Chicago and NYC was all patchwork and I ran with pain every time I hit the streets.  The marathons were the same.  I ran through pain to get them done.  I wouldn't trade the experience for the world, but I got really tired of hurting.  It feels good to be back to pain free running.  My hope is that by taking some time off and easing myself back into it I'll be able to stay relatively injury free this year. 

One of the great things about running is that you get to explore.  Today I ran from my gym and just did a simple 2.5 miles on an out and back route.  My gym is in Midtown Oklahoma City so there's quite a bit of new development.  It's an area that was rundown until the city committed to reviving the core of the metro area.  A lot of new restaurants and bars have opened up in the area and just today I noticed that the place I had my birthday party and Team-in-Training fundraising party at last March had closed down!  Bummer!  The good news is that another place is opening in the same location and it's guaranteed to be a success.  It's a sports bar type place that now has expanded to several locations all over the OKC metro.  It's going to be a great addition to our neighborhood.  It was nice to do some exploring and check out the neighborhood on foot.  I'm still renting at the moment, but it's an area I'd love to be able to settle into in the future.  The moral of the story is that I've missed running for a number of reasons and one of them is the ability to explore an area more intimately.  When your driving your car or riding a bike, you don't really get to soak it all in and pay attention to the details.  It's good to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment