Tracking

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

First Official Running Event Registration

Today I signed up for my first official running event of 2011.  I know this is the year of the triathlon, but I still need my running fix.  As previously stated before, my company is very generous when it comes to promoting an active and healthy lifestyle.  Today we received our first e-mail pertaining to races sponsored by Chesapeake.  Each year we are given the opportunity to enter about 10-12 events where Chesapeake picks up the entry fee.  All we have to do is show up and race.  It's a GREAT deal!!  It's what initially got me started in endurance sports.  They paid for my entry fee into the OKC Memorial Half Marathon in 2009 and I haven't looked back.  It's odd to say that I've only been running for 2 years and now I'm staring down the barrel of a full Ironman.  Yikes, I guess I do like to move fast.  Anyway, after I got the e-mail today I signed the dotted line and registered for the Run Lucky 5K.  It's a local race on March 13th and all proceeds benefit The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society which is dear to my heart due to my involvement with Team-in-Training.  Many of our local TNT members are putting this race together and the influx of Chesapeake employees will go a long way towards helping out the cause. 

Also, I just wanted to note that my employer made the "Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For" list again this year.  We moved up 2 spots to #32 this year.  I feel very blessed to have the ability to work for such a great company in a state and city I love so much.  I know a lot of people knock Oklahoma, but it's home.  It's really hard to beat home.  I loved Austin when I lived there and I love to travel, but it's always good to come home.  I do envy all of you in CA who experience perfect weather nearly year-round.  However, I'm a weather nerd at heart and there aren't many places more entertaining weather-wise than Oklahoma.  We are the heart of tornado alley and a melting pot of all four seasons.  It's a second hobby of mine to look at weather models and know what's going on in the weather.  I digress. On February 1st, I'll be celebrating my 5-year anniversary at Chesapeake Energy.  It's been a great five years back home.  I hope the next five continue to challenge me and make me grow as much as I have the past five years, both professionally and personally.

Run happy friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment