Tracking

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 : Year of the Triathlon

2011 is the year I become a triathlete.  I wrote a post on July 11, 2010, that questioned whether I considered myself a runner or triathlete.   I was definitely not fair in my analysis of the two types of athletes as I still hadn't warmed up to the thought of ditching running.  I think I wrote it at a time when I was mad I didn't have enough time to run as much as I wanted because I knew I needed to swim and bike to keep my base together.  In that post, I came to the conclusion that I was going to label myself a runner until I crossed the finishline of the Ironman.  God willing, that will happen in 2011.  The year ahead is going to be all about triathlon and making my dream come true.  I'll run because it's part of my training.  I'm setting aside my love for the marathon in order to accomplish something bigger and better.  I'm not sure if the Ironman distance will become a part of my arsenal in the future.  I'm not sure I'll ever like swimming enough to devote enough time to pull off multiple Ironman races.  My goal is to at least get one under my belt and see how it goes.  Who knows?  I may actually fall in love with the Ironman as well.  I'm excited about the possibilities.  I'm excited about the unknown.  I'm excited for the challenge. 

My hope is that through this blog I can keep people involved in my training and make them feel a part of my journey.  I know I'm going to need the support of everyone in my life to help me pull this off.  I'm going to apologize in advance to all those who will have to make sacrifices for me to make this dream a reality.  Sorry to my parents who will have to listen to me complain about not having enough time, something hurting, or how I'm not sure I can make a family event because I'm too busy or tired.  Sorry to my coworkers who will have to put up with my constant chatter about what workout I have that evening or the upcoming weekend.  Sorry to my friends who will have to hear me obsessively plan my days, nights, and weekends around training and who will probably not see me for weeks at a time.  Sorry to everyone who will have to schedule around my long weekend workouts.  I'm sorry to my apartment neighbors who will have to hear me on my trainer at odd hours or get woken up at 4:30 in the morning when I'm on the way out the door for a swim.  I'm sorry to all of you reading this when I become whiny, doubtful, and time-crunched.  Lastly, I'm sorry to all the other areas of my life that will be neglected.  I hope you can all bear with me the next 238 days.  It's going to be a long road.

2 comments:

  1. Anything worthwhile is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that's why I'm here. To help encourage you on your journey. In return, I get inspiration to reach for my goals from you. I kinda like that deal. And I don't have to hear you banging around at 4:30, so go for it!! ;)

    ReplyDelete