Tracking

Monday, December 27, 2010

It could have been worse I guess...

The title of this post pretty much sums up my thoughts on my swim today.  It could have been worse I guess.  I've been a real slacker in the pool lately.  I don't enjoy it so it's one of those things where I have to make myself go and swim.  I think it's boring and I generally leave the pool with a head full of water, eyes that make me look like I'm on crack, and skin that smells and feels like it's been in chlorine all day long.  I just don't find it that appealing.  I think I finally have come to terms that I probably won't ever like it, but I'm going to have to suck it up and get over it.  Maybe I should invest in a waterproof mp3 player to pass the time?  I hate listening to music when I run, but maybe it would help soothe the pain of the pool. 

The day off from work was great.  I had to work from home for a couple of hours this morning, but I could really get used to this lifestyle.  Work for a few hours, go grocery shopping while sipping on some Starbucks, go home and eat lunch, head to the gym for a swim and weights, and then come home for dinner and some Monday night football.  Not too shabby.  It sure would make it a lot easier to train for the Ironman with this much time on my hands.  Heck, I was looking at a mock training schedule for the HALF-Ironman last night and started getting tired thinking about how I'm going to squeeze it all in.  I don't know how you married folk with children do it.  You all are impressive.  I didn't even peek at the full Ironman plan after those feelings crept into my head.  I want to ease myself into this and not look too far ahead.  I know it's going to be an immense undertaking. 

I rewatched most of the NBC broadcast of the Ironman World Championships last night for motivation.  I get emotional every time I think about crossing the finishline myself.  It's even better knowing how excited my family is about going to the race as well.  Every time I see them they are talking about it or asking me questions.  My little brother keeps telling me how he's going to run through the finishing chute and tackle me after I finish and how he's going to cry seeing me cross that line.  It's moments like those that will make all the training worthwhile. 

I feel like I'm getting back into a routine.  I have about 3 or 4 weeks left of offseaon workouts before I dive into my Ironman Kansas 70.3 prep.  It's just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment