Tracking

Sunday, December 19, 2010

December - Month of Gluttony

Saying that I'm experiencing some offseason weight gain doesn't even do it justice.  I've effectively managed to pad my midsection with an extra 7-8 pounds since the first week of November.  I know I haven't lost all of my fitness yet, it's just not possible, but what used to feel easy now seems laborious.  I guess that's what happens when you skip about 6 weeks of working out regularly. 

Tomorrow is the start of my pre-Ironman base building phase.  I'm making myself get back into a routine.  No more holiday party excuses.  No more college football weekends in Stillwater.  It's time to get serious.  I'm sure watching the Ironman World Championships on TV yesterday probably helped kick this into gear, but I have been antsy to get back into the swing of things for a while now.  This last week provided no opportunity to get back into any sort of routine.  I was traveling for business on Monday/Tuesday, went to the gym Wednesday, had 2 Christmas parties on Thursday, went to a Thunder game on Friday, and then had family Christmas events this weekend.  I did get in one decent workout on Wednesday and actually ran about 2 miles on Saturday morning during my Team-in-Training coaching duties.  The knee actually felt pretty decent...go figure.  I finally called and made a doctor's appointment and the first run after I made the appointment was one of the better feeling runs I've had in a while as far as pain/discomfort goes.  I'm still going to keep my appointment for Dec 28th though.  I figure it can serve as a end of the season check-up/preseason assessment of my body.  I want to go over my plans are for the upcoming year and see if he has any advice and a hotline available for me to get in to see him quicker.  I guess having the end of the year deductible scramble, he was mostly booked up until after the Jan 1st.  I'm hoping that's not going to be the case every time I try to go see him now.   He's an ex-marathoner turned cyclist so he's been through all the aches and pains before himself.

Now it's off to catch up on laundry and get ready for the shortened work week ahead.  Only 4 days this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment