Tracking

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Team-in-Training Resumes

Today was the first of my assistant coaching duties with the OKC Memorial/Vancouver marathon teams from the OKC Team-in-Training chapter.  I actually missed the kickoff meeting for the winter/spring season last weekend while I was traveling.  It's early in the training schedule so basically this is just a chance to start building a base and provide an opportunity for the coaches and participants to meet each other.  It was a nice morning here in Oklahoma and being out there helping out sure made me want to go run.  I resisted and only jogged a couple of blocks here and there as I was helping people along the course.  I love helping out this chapter and am thankful I can give of my time to help others raise money and chase their dreams of a marathon finish.

Next week will be turkey fest 2010 and I'm sure I'll effectively pack on another 2 or 3 pounds before I refocus and start my offseason training plan.  I'm currently going to the gym, but basically just using it as my social hour so I'm not a complete hermit.  I may run a 5K or something in December just to see how it goes.  It's been a while since I have done a 5K, it would be nice to test the waters again.

Good luck to everyone running Philly and Tulsa marathons tomorrow and kudos to all those competing at Ironman Arizona.  I'm trying to not be overly obsessive about reading Ironman training plans, articles, and race reports.  It's hard not to get excited though.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  I'm needing some recommendations on tri bikes, tri tops/bottoms vs one-piece suits, and indoor cycling trainers.  If anyone has any recommendations or things I should look for, please let me know.  I'll probably buy my trainer as my Christmas gift to myself and start looking at tri bikes after the first of the year.  Thanks in advance for the input.

2 comments:

  1. Bryan-
    Hello. I'm Sam.
    I just responded to you post on BT in the IMLOU thread.
    Anyway, congratulations on your NYC Marathon. That's an amazing lifetime achievement.
    I noticed you have some questions about triathlon gear, etc.
    Here are some quick biased thoughts...
    Triathlon Bike: Consider going to a bike shop with a solid reputation and have a professional fit done and have them give you some suggestions.
    Tri apparel: I prefer to have a top and a bottom vs. a suit because it is more flexible to adjust.
    Indoor Trainer: I have a magnetic trainer. It's nice a quiet. Some people like rollers, but I would probably kill myself if I had those.
    Is IMLOU your first triathlon ever?
    Good to have you aboard. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam, thanks for stopping by the blog and thanks for the input.

    My tri history is pretty minimal. I did an Oly in Austin, TX, this year as my first. I already had Chicago and NYC marathons on my schedule this fall so I shifted focus to running. Picking back up the tri stuff now and will do some early season sprints to get back in the flow.

    ReplyDelete