Tracking

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

It's official - Ironman Louisville

As of last night at 9:07 PM CST, I am officially registered for my first Ironman!  I took the plunge and submitted my application and paid the hefty entry fee to make it official.  

Ford Ironman Louisville

It took me quite a while to finally come to this decision.  I was heavily debating several races and I finally came to the conclusion that this one made the most sense for me.  I really struggled with the fact that I had an independent race in my own backyard in the Redman, but the fact of the matter is, I like the big races.  When I went out to Redman as a spectator it just didn't have the feel I wanted for my first Iron distance triathlon.  I think it's a great event and one I will do in the future, but I wanted my first to be bigger.  I wanted to be out there with 2,000+ other people all fighting together to make it to the finish.  I struggled with the money I would have to spend to do an Ironman event.  The fees are hefty.  Travel and lodging won't be cheap.  It would have been much easier to sit at home and wake up in my own bed and head out the door to the race.  The course would have been much easier, the heat would have more than likely been less of a factor, and I could have gotten one-on-one attention from volunteers.  There are a lot of things that would have been easier, but I wanted something more.

I am confident I made the right choice for myself.  My parents are excited.  I am excited.  I hope my brothers can make it.  I hope some of my friends can make it.  I have already requested off work and will start looking for lodging options in the near future.  The wheels are in motion.  I know it won't be easy, but I'm excited, nervous, and ready for the challenge.

On August 28th, 2011, sometime before 12 midnight, I hope to be crossing the finish line to become an Ironman.  I hope you will continue to follow along and join me in my journey.

Swim - 2.4 miles
Bike - 112 miles
Run - 26.2 miles
140.6 miles to an Ironman finish

Here is a quote I have borrowed several times from another blog I follow, Frayed Laces :

"There will be a day when you can no longer do this......TODAY is not that day."  This quote has really resonated with me over the past year and a half.  I chase my dreams because I can.  If not now, when?

3 comments:

  1. You don't mess around. Bryan. Awesome decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a quote for the finishline

    "The miracle isnt that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with your training. I look forward to following your progress... we'll be fighting the good fight together.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete