Tracking

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Countdown to NYC : 7 Days - What Should I Expect?

What should I expect from myself at the ING NYC Marathon?  That's one question I really can't answer at the moment.  I learned a few lessons in Chicago and am hopeful that I apply the lessons learned during my race in New York.  I'm still not healthy, but better.  I haven't ran since Chicago due to my left knee issues.  In the grand scheme of things, it's not that long of a break when you consider I have been training since late January.  I am hoping my endless hours on the elliptical and a solid year of training will translate into a body willing to take one more 26.2 mile race before I hang it up for the year.  I am going in with no real expectations other than I expect to finish.  I'm not going to saddle myself with the hopes of a 3:50 marathon like I did in Chicago.  I'm going to take the first few miles easy and see how I feel.  I am really dreading the downhills because it's usually when the knee hurts the worst.  I will get a pretty good gauge of my knee the first 2 miles....straight up Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and straight back down before I even have the chance to enjoy a few flat miles.  I am expecting it to hurt.  How bad will it hurt?  That's the real question.

Talking with my coach, he thinks I will be fine fitness-wise, but he does think I will probably run into more muscle fatigue problems towards the end of the race due to the 4 weeks away from actual running.  He said to make sure I nail my nutrition and pacing in order to be focused and ready for the tough stretch at the end.  He said I may flirt with cramping more than normal, and I think the hills will eventually cause some issues since I haven't really trained for a hilly course.  The hope is to be conservative and follow my motto in my Chicago race report : patience and humility.  Respect the course, respect the distance, and respect my body.  Hopefully it all boils down to an enjoyable experience and another marathon finish.

Today was my last long sufferfest on the elliptical.  I opted for a little over 2 hours on the elliptical for my final long workout.  In order to motivate me, I watched several videos on YouTube and Runner's World's website about the NYC marathon.  It was great motivation to get my butt on the elliptical.  The fact I only have one more week before offseason was also a great motivator.

Here is the latest forecast from the Weather Channel.  It's going to be chilly.  I need to start thinking about what I'm going to wear since I haven't had the chance to run in cold weather in a while. 

Day Night


Sunny
High
48°F

Precip
0%

Wind: From NW at 15 mph
Humidity: 59%
UV Index: 3 Moderate
Sunrise: 6:33 AM ET
Avg. High: 55°F
Record High: 68°F (1994)



Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low
40°F

Precip
10%

Wind: From NW at 7 mph
Humidity: 67%
Sunset: 4:45 PM ET
Avg. Low: 40°F
Record Low: 30°F (1962)

Last Updated Sunday, Oct 31, 3:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I'm not running in it, but I'll be there as a spectator taking pics :)

    ReplyDelete