Tracking

Monday, August 16, 2010

Rest Days and Good Weather

Oh Mondays.  I love them because it means I can take a breather and catch up on items I have put off for days/weeks/months or I can just do nothing.  Basically it's my free day.  No schedule.  No obligations.  I just do whatever feels right.  They always seem to come at just the right time too.  I guess I am different from some of the hardcore bloggers out there.  I take my rest days.  I don't even flirt with the possibility of doing a workout.  I think 6 days of training requires a full day off of doing nothing.  I just don't know how people do the 7 days a week thing like some of you crazy folks I read about in the blog world.  More power to you.  I would be a jumbled mess of injuries, mishaps, and overall crankiness.  Not to mention my apartment would be an even bigger wreck than it already is at the moment. 

Also, I am proud to announce that I cannot complain about the weather in this blog!  Yay!   I know everyone is getting tired of my whining and moaning about the heat so hopefully you enjoy the break.  I know I will!  Yesterday's (Sunday) long run was awesome.  I was delayed about an hour from my expected start time due to some stomach issues.....runner's you know what I am talking about.  I will spare those nonrunners who read my blog the juicy details, but I wasn't about to hit the trails before these issues were resolved. 

At 6:45 or so I headed out to Hefner to get in my 10 miles for the day and the sun was just starting to break the darkness.  It was a little muggy, temps in the low 80s, and there was absolutely no wind.  Not ideal, but manageable.  As I started my run, the sun peeked over the horizon and revealed amazing storm clouds to the north of OKC.  It would later turn out that these clouds would be like a message from God. 

Four or five miles into my run, I was chugging along, finishing my 2 sets of intervals, when clouds from the storms blocked the light of the rising sun and almost instantly cooled the air.  Next thing I know, a north breeze starts to pick up.  The wind brought with it cool, refreshing air almost like a fall breeze.  It was an answered prayer.  I instantly felt better and my attitude was extremely positive and joyous.  I remembered how much more enjoyable running is when the temps are manageable.  I felt light and strong all at the same time.  My stride felt perfect.  My lungs felt refreshed.  I wasn't dripping sweat.  My shorts and shirt didn't weigh 10 pounds.  I didn't feel like my head was on fire.  I was just running and enjoying it.  Oh how I long for those months when running like that is not the exception, but the rule.  My pace quickened.  My confidence soared.  It reassured me that my training is on schedule and is definitely paying off. 

The sad news is that it appears my euphoric running days are short-lived.  The upper 90s and low 100s are set to return in a few days.  Oh well, it was great while it lasted.  Thank you God for a reprieve.  It was much appreciated.  For now it's back to packing a towel and an extra set of clothes for every run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment