Tracking

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Treadmill Etiquette

Monsoon season has hit Oklahoma so I was forced indoors today to get in my run.  Running on the treadmill is definitely not  my favorite thing in the world.  Today only magnified the reasons I don't enjoy running on the treadmill.  It seems I always get stuck by the guy or girl who hasn't brushed their teeth in a few days, hasn't showered in a week or two, and can't help but throw their sweat all over everything within 5 feet  Ok, maybe it wasn't that bad, but I still had the smelly guy next to me today and it just really makes me wonder why anyone would willingly smell awful.  It's not hard to shower every morning and reapply deoderant before you go jump on the treadmill. 

Here is my list of things everyone should remember when running on a treadmill:
  • Reapply deoderant before going for a run on the treadmill - you should have it in your bag anyway
  • Pop in a piece of gum or a mint before running in a closed environment - we don't all want to smell what you ate today
  • If you sweat buckets like me, go grab a towel and keep it on your treadmill.  It's so easy to wipe off while you are running.
  • Don't look at my pace and mileage and try to race me.  I am there for a purpose, not to see if I can run faster than someone for a few minutes.
  • Wear a fresh pair of shorts and a shirt before you run.  Yes, running in one place for 20-30 minutes will unleash that odor caught up in your clothes that you wore the last 3 days.
  • Wipe down your 'mill after you are done.  No one else wants to swim in your filth.
Ok, there is my list.  Feel free to add more in the comments section if I left anything out.  Running outside is good for the soul.  Treadmill running is a necessary evil when hurricane season decides to visit your neck of the woods.  Get out and run regardless!

3 comments:

  1. I think you need to add "Don't look at my pace and mileage and try to race me. I am there for a purpose, not to see if I can run faster than someone for a few minutes."

    this one is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. - If there are 10 treadmills in a row and I am on the one on the far left and the only person in the row do not take the one directly next to me.
    - I do not want to have a conversation with you while we are on the treadmill.
    - Do not come by and look at my pace and tell me I am not even getting a workout, usually the treadmill is used for recovery runs.
    - If you want to change the channel on the TV and I am there first at the least ask me.
    - If you change it MSNBC be prepared for me to mock you.
    - None of the above apply if you are a hot chick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wear a fresh pair of shorts and a shirt before you run. Yes, running in one place for 20-30 minutes will unleash that odor caught up in your clothes that you wore the last 3 days."

    This is so true. Yesterday I was on the treadmill at my gym and a guy got on next to me. After a few minutes, he smelled so bad that I had to quit my run and go run around the track instead. My nose could not take it!

    ReplyDelete