Tracking

Monday, July 12, 2010

Marathon Maniac?

The thought has crossed my mind lately....just saying.

There is a small part of me that is considering trying to become a marathon maniac.  This hasn't happened over night and the fact that I am still concerned my body will not make it through the rigors of 2 marathons makes this a very remote possibility.  I can't say no just yet though.

For those of you who aren't familiar, there is a club called the Marathon Maniacs.  Basically they are a club for people who love the marathon and race in them often.  The thought of joining this club is intriguing.  Honestly, I never even really thought about trying to join this club when the year started.  I knew I was running Chicago with my friend Katie and that was the only marathon I planned on running this year.  Due to my good luck (I guess), I won a lottery spot in the NYC Marathon and figured I might as well give it a shot.  It's not every year that you can say you knocked out two of the World Marathon Majors in a month's time.  As both marathons inch closer, the thought of joining this crazy club continues to pop up in the back of my mind.  Is it likely?  No.  Is it possible?  Yes.  I wouldn't be breaking any records or doing anything that 100s of people haven't done before, but it would be significant for me and something I would cherish.  Here are the criteria for me to become a Bronze Level Marathon Maniac:

BRONZE LEVEL
1. 2 Marathons within a 16 day time frame.
2. 3 Marathons within a 90 day time frame.

For those of you who know me, I am a planner.  If I was to try for this crazy feat, I would have to do something very spur of the moment.  There is no way I am going to pay for an entry fee into a marathon that may not happen.  I can find way better things to spend $125 on right now.  However, the planner in me has started to look at local race dates.  The good thing (I guess) is that 2 local races fit within the 90 day window after Chicago.
  • Route 66 Marathon - Tulsa, OK (November 21st) - close to home, but only 2 weeks after NYC
  • Dallas White Rock Marathon - Dallas, TX (Dec 5th) - a possible return to the scene of my 1st full
Both should not be sold out by the date I would need to register, although I know Dallas will sell out a week or two before race day.  Tulsa had plenty of full marathon spots available last year, so I think I may even be able to do expo registration if I was crazy enough to attempt it there.  My body hated me after the marathon in Dallas last year, but I was undertrained and not even sure I would make it to the starting line due to Achilles issues.  I think if all goes well, my recovery time this year will be much "easier" and I can make a quicker turnaound after my races.  I know it's a stretch, but the possibility is there.  What have I become?

1 comment:

  1. I say if you're up to it then go for it, you'll be 2/3 of the way there, might as well try to do it.

    ReplyDelete