Tracking

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hello, Swim. Nice to see you again!

Finally! After a three week hiatus, I returned to the pool in triumphant fashion.  It was hands-down the best swim I have had in the pool in a few months.  Maybe I need to skip swimming more often!  Oh wait, that's not the goal.  Regardless, the stars really aligned for me yesterday and I actually enjoyed myself.  That's really saying something for a person that equates swimming to torture 99% of the time.  I went the long swim route this time around since I had been doing sprints during the last few swim sessions.  Turns out that was a great idea.  I ended up logging a 200 meter warm-up, followed by a 1500 meter main set.  It's refreshing to know I haven't lost much with my swim layoff and can still go out and throw in an Oly triathlon swim when needed.  I am satisfied.

The rest of the week has been pretty uneventful.  I have been a good boy and not skipped any workouts and feel really good about the quality of my training this week.  Wednesday I logged my longest bike ride to date, a whole 51.75 miles, out at Lake Hefner.  While Hefner isn't the ideal place to do a long ride, it sufficed and the thunderstorms to the west of OKC really helped cool the air as they blocked the blazing July sun.  I was even treated to a nice, cool wind coming out of the storms as the sun was going down.  It really made me ready for Oct/Nov when the cool, fall breezes start blowing.  I can't wait for cooler weather.

Today was my turn with Team-in-Training, so I went out and helped our group of ladies get in their long run for the week.  Lake Hefner was packed with training groups and everyday athletes getting in their workouts before the 100+ degree heat settled in for the day.  It's always great seeing the trails packed with people being active.  It makes me smile every time.  After coaching, I hopped on my bike for an easy cross-training ride before my long run tomorrow.  Due to the heat, I will once again be waking up at 430 AM to squeeze in my run when it's only 80.  Ugh.  I hate the summer heat.  Training during the summer really jacks up your schedule.  Our 7-day forecast calls for 100+ degrees every day with lows in the high 70s and low 80s.  Heat indices are supposed to be 110+ as well.  I know all of you Texas folks understand my pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment