Tracking

Monday, July 26, 2010

Chicago : Corral D

Last week I decided to finally send in my OKC Memorial half marathon time to the Chicago committee.  I had really gone back and forth with this decision because I am going to Chicago with a friend.  I wanted to make sure she was ok with me sending in my time for a seeded corral before I took the leap.  My reasoning behind the move was that my goal for the Chicago marathon has changed.  I initially had gone into Chicago preparation with a goal of breaking the 4-hour mark.  As training has progressed, I am continually modifying my goals and have decided I really want to "race" Chicago and see what I can do.  Chicago is my goal race this year.  I am hoping that the corral closer to the start will relieve some of the initial congestion and let me run my own race. 

The marathon is such a time-consuming and unforgiving event and you really only get one shot to get it right every 6 months or so when you are an amateur.  I don't have the running history or base to expect to run 2 great races a month apart.  I really want to focus my efforts on Chicago and not leave it up to chance at NYC.  NYC probably made more sense to try for a significant PR since I am going alone, but given it will be my 2nd marathon in less than a month, I really don't think I could get my body to cooperate.  Plus, after talking to several people, NYC is deceptively hilly.  No one runs fast in NYC, and everyone loves Chicago for it's flat, fast course.  It makes more sense to go for it in Chicago.  Thus my quest for a PR at Chicago takes an even more serious tone.  What's my goal?  I haven't completely narrowed it down, but I will say it's a huge improvement from my Dallas White Rock days last December.  So many things can happen in 11 weeks so I reserve the right to keep my goal locked away until race day nears.  Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

Just to give you an idea of where I will be starting, here are the qualifying standards for Chicago.  I qualified for Corral D based on my half marathon time at the OKC Memorial this April (1:49:16).


Start Corral ASecure starting area set directly behind the Elite Development Corral for all qualified participants. Qualifications for Start Corral A for 2010 are as follows:
  • Half Marathon time:          <1:25:59
  • Full Marathon time:           <3:10:59
  • Expected capacity:             1,500
  • Avg. time to cross Start:     0:42 (seconds)
Start Corral BSecure starting area set directly behind Start Corral A for all qualified participants. Qualifications for Start Corral B for 2010 are as follows:
  • Half Marathon time:           <1:35:59
  • Full Marathon time:            <3:35:59
  • Expected capacity:               3,000
  • Avg. time to cross Start:      1:58 (minutes)
Start Corral CSecure starting area set directly behind Start Corral B for all qualified participants. Qualifications for Start Corral C for 2010 are as follows:
  • Half Marathon time:            <1:45:59
  • Full Marathon time:             <3:55:59
  • Expected capacity:               4,000
  • Avg. time to cross Start:      4:11 (minutes)
Start Corral DSecure starting area set directly behind Start Corral C for all qualified participants. Qualifications for Start Corral D for 2010 are as follows:
  • Half Marathon time:            <1:50:59
  • Full Marathon time:             <4:00:59
  • Expected capacity:               4,000
  • Avg. time to cross Start:      6:31 (minutes)

1 comment: