Tracking

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Another tragic loss...

I hate to start another blog off with bad news, but another cyclist was killed in OKC today.  About 8:30 AM this morning, a biker was hit by a truck near Britton and I-35.  This was not a hit and run and the person driving the truck called the paramedics, but the cyclist passed away at a local hospital.  It is so sad that our endurance community has been hit with 2 tragedies in such a short span of time.  It is a reminder that we lack the appropriate protections here in Oklahoma and need to continue to educate our community on the laws of sharing the road.  It is our responsibility as cyclists to do our part to obey the laws, educate those around us, and ride defensive-minded, not aggressive.  I send my deepest condolences to those affected by these tragedies.

This was a great training week for me.  I hit a total of 98 miles between biking and running and skipped my swim workout.  I know I shouldn't be happy about skipping my swim workout, but I really wasn't feeling it this week.  The fact that I have no plans to do a triathlon anytime soon, makes it less appealing to swim, especially when I am tired.  I don't plan on making skipping a habit, but I needed the break. 

My runs and bikes all went really well despite the 100+ degree heat.  You definitely learn to get creative with your schedule when the heat gets this intense.  You know you are a committed athlete when going back to work means you get to sleep in!  This weekend I woke up at 4:30 AM both Saturday and Sunday.  I won't know what to do with myself tomorrow when I get to sleep in until 5:45 AM!   This morning's long run was my longest run since the half marathon back in April.  It felt great to hit the double digit mileage again with my 10 miler out at Lake Hefner.  The lake was incredibly busy with cyclists and runners taking advantage of the decreased humidity and light south wind.  It really makes me happy to see so many people active and training.  Until next time, run happy and please be careful.  

1 comment:

  1. "You know you are a committed athlete when going back to work means you get to sleep in!"

    I love this quote.

    And like I said yesterday, sorry about the loss in your community...WTF?

    ReplyDelete