Tracking

Sunday, June 6, 2010

What's Next?

I have effectively managed to not do any training since I returned from Austin. My required rest has been tough. I find that I have a ton of extra time on my hands when I am not training so I went and took in a night at the Women's College World Series, attended my 10-year high school reunion, finalized the plans for my Brooks I.D. event next weekend, and generally just relaxed. It's allowed me to baby some of my lingering aches and pains from tri training and realize that I am not meant to sit still any more. All in all, it's been a nice week, but I am definitely ready to get after it again.

So, what's next? Well, most of you that have been following along know that I am registered for Chicago and NYC this fall. I already have places to stay in both locations and a flight booked for NYC. The next item on the agenda is to book that flight to Chicago and start back up with marathon training. This coming week (June 7-11) will be exactly 18 weeks from Chicago. It's definitely time to start training!

That's not all I will be up to over the next 18 weeks though! I also will be fulfilling my duties as an Assistant Marathon Coach for Team-in-Training Oklahoma. We have a great group of women who are training for Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco, Dublin Marathon, and Disney's Wine and Dine Half Marathon. I am so thrilled to be able to provide support, advice, and motivation to others who are raising money and accomplishing personal goals with Team-in-Training.

Finally, I have officially taken the step of hiring a coach. I start work with Ryan Ellis of Conquer Training this week. I met Ryan through Team-in-Training as he served as the triathlon coach for our Team this season. I really enjoyed working with him and felt he provided me with the tools to succeed and make myself a better all-around athlete. I have already PR'ed in the half marathon this year and set a nice mark in my first-ever triathlon. The reason for hiring Ryan is basically two-fold for me. My more immediate goal and focus this summer is to train smart and efficiently and break the 4-hour mark at Chicago and run NYC four weeks later. The ultimate long-term goal, which is where Ryan will really come into play, is to start building my base for the Full Ironman distance triathlon. I have circled late next year as my goal for completing my first Ironman event. Ryan will provide a base of knowledge and training experience that I could never even begin to supply myself. I want to start building my base now so I can turn the calendar to 2011 with the tools needed to ramp up my training for the Ironman. I know it's not going to be easy. I know it's going to be one of the greatest physical and mental challenges I will ever encounter. I want to make sure I provide myself with the best tools available to make this an experience of a lifetime. Countdown to being an Ironman starts now!

No comments:

Post a Comment