Tracking

Monday, June 28, 2010

Rest Day w/ Dreams of Ironman Dancing in My Head

It's Monday so we all know what that means : REST DAY!!  It's been a great week back to training and it feels amazing to settle back into my routine.  I had a great time traveling and listening to country music, but I am back to my bread and butter.  Training makes me feel good about myself, keeps me motivated, and makes me want to be a better at everything.  When I am not training I have fun, but I always catch myself thinking about my next run or how nice it would be to have my gear with me to get in a workout when the weather is nice.  Some call me crazy, I just call me happy.

One great thing about rest days are they make me really focus on where I see myself physically and evaluate my routine.  Last week was probably the perfect training week for me as far as spacing out my workouts go.  I know it's not going to be possible to always plan them that way, but it is definitely my default plan.

Tues - Run
Wed - Long Bike
Thurs - Run
Friday - Swim
Saturday - Long Run
Sunday - Bike

It works well for me and allows me to break up the week with different disciplines so I don't get injured or bored.  Mixing it up has definitely kept me fresher and I don't really dread any specific discipline.  Swimming is by far my least favorite, but I appreciate swimming.  I have a respect for it and know it's place in my routine.  It doesn't mean I really have to like it though.

One final note before I leave you.  This weekend was great for me mentally.  I spent an hour or so Saturday morning watching the finish-line cam of the Rock 'N Roll Seattle Marathon and it quickly made me remember why I battled through the nasty heat and humidity earlier that day to get in my long run.  Just watching the video brought back emotions from my first marathon finish.  Reliving those memories left me extremely excited and ready for the bulk of my training.  On Sunday, I was glued to my Blackberry following Twitter and all of the updates on Ironman Coeur d'Alene.  Following everyone's journey for the entire day really made me appreciate the beauty of the Ironman race.  It's a true test of dedication, will power, mental toughness, and physical endurance.  No part of it makes you think it's fun, but the true test of one's inner self makes it especially intriguing.  I was so happy to hear complete strangers had made it to the finish in one piece.  I can't even begin to imagine the feeling once you cross the finish line.  The only way to truly know is to throw yourself into the fire.  I will do it.  I owe it to myself to give it a shot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment