Tracking

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Back to Reality

Ok, finally back to the blogging world. Sorry for the long absence, but I was living in concert dreamland and vacation heaven. It was a nice break from the regular routine. My only complaint : It was way too short!

Here are a few highlights from the trip to Chicago:
  • Loved the city! Tons of active people, weather was great, met some cool new people.
  • Great time hanging out with my friend from college, Ray, and my music soul mate, Allison.
  • Dixie Chicks were amazing! The girls still have it after all these years out of music.
  • Eagles are just not my thing. Too many instrumental moments, too many slow songs, too much weed being smoked by the two old couples next to me.
  • Made my first visit to Wrigley
  • Drank too much, ate too much, and slept too little
  • Chicago is a LONG way from OKC
  • Sugarland never disappoints - can't wait to see them again in October
  • Traveling feeds the appetite for vacation. I am ready for another one.
So there are a few bullet points to highlight my trip. I really did have a great time and can't wait to go back and run a marathon in Chicago.

Since my return to OKC, I have been very busy training and catching back up at work. I talked with my coach and lined out a few weeks of workouts and started the serious part of my training. I am now back to eating well, drinking less, and getting as much rest as possible.

The weather right now is brutal in Oklahoma. It's hot and humid and nasty. I am not a fan, but you have to play the hand you are dealt so I have decided just to suck it up. I have a really hard time waking up early to run during the week so my evening runs have been in areas with as many trees as humanly possible. There is a really nice neighborhood about 2 or 3 miles from my house so I have been running there the past few days. There are sidewalks everywhere, huge trees blocking the sun, and plenty of areas for me to get in the speed portions of my workouts. Most of my runs are fartlek type runs at the moment. I spend 10 minutes warming up and then do 5 minutes fast, 3 minutes recovery, and 5 minutes fast again. I repeat until I get to my recommended mileage. So far the training has been going really well. I haven't gotten into any really heavy mileage yet, but it will be here before you know it.

I also am biking twice a week and swimming once a week to keep up my base. The biking is also in place to help me prepare for the Hotter N Hell bike tour in Wichita Falls, Texas, in August. I managed to get in a nice 32 miler last night after work and felt pretty decent considering the lack of biking I have done since the triathlon. Overall, I really can't complain about training. It's started off really well.

I will try to catch up on everyone's blogs this weekend when I have a chance to sit down for a bit. Right now I am off to do more laundry and continue to play catch-up. Thanks for sticking around while I was gone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment