Tracking

Sunday, June 13, 2010

5K Time Trial and Red Coyote Grand Opening

The first full week of marathon training is off to a really good start. Well, I haven't actually gotten in a long run yet, but I don't think I will miss it. The plan is to start my long runs next weekend. I am dedicated to not running on back-to-back days so I will have to compromise my long run this weekend. My body hates me when I try to squeeze in too many runs during the week. The whole goal of this training plan is to stay healthy. A healthy man is a happy man.

Since my last update, I have done two 5Ks but both were unofficial and don't count towards my racing history. However, they were both fun in their own right. The first one I did was a 5K time trial for my new coach so he could get an idea of where I was currently and we could configure my zones for my upcoming training. I haven't ran a 5K since last August and overall I have only ran three 5K's total. One was my first race ever and the other two were coming off injuries or a bigger race. I am not very happy with my PR at the 5K distance so this was a good test of what I could potentially do if I actually raced one sometime soon.

I ended up doing the time trial in my neighborhood on a 1-mile loop course so I could keep an equal pacing and use it to track my progress throughout the season. I woke up at 4:50 AM Thursday morning to get this in before the heat of the day settled in and to hopefully avoid any traffic. It was still mid-70s and 93% humidity so it wasn't ideal, but it was much better than 95 degrees and 60% humidity like it would have been after work. Pacing-wise I wasn't really sure where to start since it had been so long since I had ran a shorter race. My current PR had me paced at around a 7:30 min/mile. I knew I was stronger than that, but wasn't quite sure by how much. I ended up starting myself out at a 7:15 min/mile and figured I could at least make that happen. I ended up having negative splits on all 3 miles so I think I may have started a little too conservatively, but until you actually get out there and race, you never really know what to expect. I ended up clocking my 5K Time Trial at 22:12 which gave me a 7:08 min/mile average. I was pretty happy with this result since I was running by myself in my neighborhood so early in the morning. Under ideal conditions, I am confident I can push that even lower. Progress.

Yesterday was also my Brooks I.D. event in Oklahoma City. Red Coyote celebrated their official grand opening yesterday and as a way to gather up the local I.D. members, we also put on a 5K Fun Run. We ended up having a great turnout from the local running community and also had a few I.D. members present to showcase our love for Brooks. The run started at 8 A.M. from the Red Coyote store in NW OKC. We had a group of around 100 people there from numerous groups including Brooks I.D. members, Team-in-Training, LandRunners, and several Chesapeake Energy employees. It was a good mix of runners and everyone seemed to have a great time with the laid back nature of the run. It was very informal and allowed me a chance to chat with my fellow Brooks I.D.'ers and enjoy a nice, leisurely run. Our area Brooks rep was also there to show off the Brooks shoes and brought water bottles for us to hand out to other runners who were wearing Brooks gear. All in all, I think it was a great way to showcase the Brooks brand and continue to build the customer base in OKC. I am still amazed at how many people don't know about Brooks, so the more I can wear my gear with pride and share the Brooks love, the more happy runners we can have in OKC. Run happy my friends!

3 comments:

  1. It makes me happy when someone finds something that works for them, in your case Brooks. Really important stuff. I'm a Newton man myself, probably feel the same way u do about Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Patrick. It's nice when someone can find something that works for them. It's definitely different for every foot. I had a couple of friends buy Newtons yesterday actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Brian! Thanks for the metion and thanks for all the help this past weekend. The run would not have been possible without you. Keep up the good training and your times will drop fast!

    Red Coyote

    ReplyDelete