Tracking

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day, Team-in-Training, and Bedlam

Well gang, it's been quite a while since I have posted. It was another one of those weeks where I was barely home for more than 30 minutes except to sleep. It seems like they are happening more and more often than not anymore. I guess that is to be expected when the weather turns warmer and the daylight hours get longer.

Training-wise, nothing too special to note this week. I did a couple of good swim workouts and logged a nice 30-mile ride on Saturday morning with the Team-in-Training crew. I also had my first run in nearly 2 weeks on Saturday. It was only a quick 2 miler, but it was nice to get back out and running again.

Saturday also marked the start of something new for me. I am officially signed up to be a Team-in-Training assistant coach for the marathon team. I am really looking forward to the opportunity and am happy that I will be able to stay involved with the organization. My time as a fundraising participant is drawing to a close so this will just continue that chapter of my life. Saturday morning was the kickoff meeting for all of the fall events and we had a great group of participants who have signed up to do the Nike Women's marathon, the Dublin marathon, and the Walt Disney Wine and Dine half marathon this October. We kicked off our training with a quick 2 mile run around the OU Health Sciences campus near downtown OKC and gave everyone their material to get started on a great season. I think it's going to be such a blessing to be able to help everyone realize their dream of completing a marathon or half marathon. It's not every day you are given an opportunity to share the journey with someone and help them live their dream. It's going to be a great few months!

Saturday night was also Bedlam baseball at the Bricktown Ballpark in OKC. It was such a nice, cool evening with the good guys coming out on top! I couldn't have asked for a better way to end an active, productive day. I really wish Oklahoma weather could be like that every day of the year. It was simply amazing.

Today was Mother's Day and I went home to see my mother and also celebrate my dad's birthday which is this coming week. It was so nice to go home and relax with the family. My dad was under the weather with a bad back, so I didn't get to see much of him because he was in bed most of the day. The rest of us curled up on the floor, couch, and recliners and shared many laughs while watching Tommy Boy. The rest of the day we just chit-chatted, relaxed, and enjoyed each others company. A perfect end to a rather busy, hectic week.

Tomorrow we are scheduled to have our first open water swim practice at Lake Arcadia. I am excited and ready to give it a try. There is a pretty decent chance of severe weather and tornadoes tomorrow in Oklahoma so we may get delayed, but regardless I think we will be doing at least one open water swim this week at some point. If the weather cooperates, we may actually get in two or three. I will report back with all of the details tomorrow evening. Hope everyone had a great weekend. I will try to be more diligent with my updates this week.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the coaching , it can be a great deal of fun

    ReplyDelete