Tracking

Thursday, April 8, 2010

What have I gotten myself into now?!

Well, as of yesterday at 11:30 AM CST I am now officially crazy in the minds of all of my friends and family. Believe it or not, I somehow lucked out and won a spot in the ING New York City Marathon on Nov. 7th, 2010. I was shocked, nervous, and excited all at the same time. For those of you who have been following along, I am already signed up for the Chicago marathon with my friend Katie which is on Oct 10, 2010. I am fully committed to this marathon and I only entered the NYC lottery as a way to build up some denials so I could eventually run it in a couple of years when you get guaranteed entry. I never really expected to get picked when I entered the lottery and leading up to the lottery draw I only vaguely considered the possibility of running both of them in the same year. When I logged into my account and saw "ACCEPTED" the wheels began turning in my head. I think I might just make this happen. Is that crazy talk or am I already on a runner's high from thinking about running 2 of the 5 World Marathon Majors in one year? Just thinking about the possibility is making ridiculously excited as I type. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stay in NYC for the marathon? I think it is time to start the search. My wallet is not going to be happy with me after this year.

In other news, I reached another personal best in the pool last night. I managed to get in a decent 1400 yard workout even though my shoulders ached from the bike ride the day before. I am guessing having to fight the wind the entire ride made me tense up and work my shoulders more than usual. All I know is they ached after a mere 2 laps in the pool. At that point I knew it wasn't going to be easy. It's always nice to finish up another round in the pool and take one more step towards the triathlon.

I also ran 4 miles today on the 'mill even though the weather was perfect outside. I made myself run on the treadmill because I figured the surface would be a little more forgiving for my ailing knee and it allows me to better control my pace and keep it slow and steady. I am not out to break any records this weekend at the Redbud. I just want to go run and have some fun. The knee felt pretty decent overall and I think the RockTape is doing a nice job of providing support during my runs. Slowly making progress. I have a long road ahead of me this year so slow and steady is the key.

Time for me to jump off here and stretch since my inconsistency in that department is probably what lead me down this path of annoying knee pain in the first place. Hope everyone has a great Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Bryan, been reading your blog for a little while congrats on getting picked in the NYCM lottery. I don't know your marathon history or what your goals are, but with Chicago and NY being a little less than one month apart and assuming you WILL run both, perhaps you should already decide which one your going to go for a PR in and use the other as a "fun run." Keep from getting injured anyway. I'm sure you've already thought about this, so my words are probably stating the obvious, but there ya go anyway. Keep up the good writing and running dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do both, a month inbetween races is plenty of time. Remember your fitness is there, so you dont have to worry about that. Recovery week after the first one is key. Compression, ice, foam rollers, shcedule a massage. If you work your recovery week on getting your legs back, you be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys! Charlie, that's good advice. I will talk to my running partner and see what her goals are for Chicago and go from there. NYC looks like I will be on my own so probably just going to go enjoy the event.

    BDD - I have briefly started looking at some training plans for the weeks between the races. You are right, looks like recovery is the key that first week. Since I will be in Chicago the week after the marathon, I need to make sure I take my toys with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations on making NYC i did not make it this year. you will do just fine doing both you can use MCM as your last long run for NYC or you can decide on the which one you want to give your all to or just go with the flow and have fun your training schedule will fall just in line for both. I haven't done MCM but you are in for something very special with NYC

    ReplyDelete