Tracking

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Redbud 33-Mile Tour

Today was the maiden voyage for me on the bike in a tour format, or anything official for that matter. I signed up for the Redbud 33-mile tour a couple of month's ago because Chesapeake is a major sponsor of the Redbud weekend here in OKC so it seemed like a perfect way to test out the old cycling skills.

I woke up this morning to a pleasantly cool 54 degrees and light winds. It was a great indication of things to come as I loaded the bike onto my car and headed to Waterford plaza to meet up with Katie and my Team-in-Training friends. The tour started around 7:00 AM and headed east into the rising sun. The ride was crisp and even a little chilly as the sun started to rise, but the weather turned nearly perfect as we settled into our tour of eastern Oklahoma county. Since this was a tour, we were in no real rush to get to the end, but we did manage to keep a decent pace going and still have the chance to have some good conversation along the way. I also ran into an old friend who I hadn't seen for years and we exchanged numbers so we could start going on rides together since we both have taken up the sport. It's nice to reconnect with old friends and form new friendships with like-minded people who can help make me a better person and a better athlete.

I have truly fallen in love with endurance sports. The people who compete and participate in these events are so positive and uplifting. It's hard to go to an event and not meet someone new or have a good time with friends you already know. Every time I go to an event I am excited to participate, but when I leave I am even more excited for the next one. The good thing is I don't have to wait long this time around. Tomorrow marks the 1-year anniversary of my first ever race as a runner. Last year I participated in the Redbud 5k as a 27 year old guy who was finding his place in the running world and extremely nervous of his upcoming half marathon. This year I will participate in the Redbud 10k as a 28 year old marathoner who is settling into his own in this crazy endurance sports world. It's amazing how much has changed in a year and I am forever thankful I took the leap of faith and gave it a shot.

1 comment:

  1. I had my first tour ride on Saturday as well for the season. I love meeting new people, riding on old country roads and having fun!!!

    ReplyDelete