Tracking

Monday, April 19, 2010

April 19, 1995 - We Remember

Today marks the 15th anniversary of the bombing of the Alfred P Murrah building in downtown Oklahoma City. It's amazing it's been that long, because it feels just like yesterday. I still remember vividly the images of that day and the sorrow felt by an entire state. I was only 13 years old at the time, sitting in Civics class at Amber-Pocasset Junior High School when the attack took place. Oklahomans were forever changed that day. It's amazing how emotional I still get when thinking about it. The images of shattered buildings, injured people, and the sorrow on all of the faces of those who were a part of this horrible tragedy. I tear up every time we do 168 seconds of silence remembering those who were killed that day. The OKC Memorial Marathon will always hold a special place in my heart. The 168 seconds of silence at the start of the race is one of the most moving starting line moments of any race you will ever do. If you ever get a chance to run, please come and run for those killed and for every Oklahoman who was changed that day. I know I will be forever grateful for those who show up and participate or line the streets to cheer on the runners. It is definitely a run to remember.

On that note, I am beyond excited and ready for this weekend's OKC Memorial Marathon. I am running the half marathon again this year along with 20,000 of my closest friends. The half marathon and relay have officially sold out and the marathon is close to being capped. I will also be volunteering at the expo on Saturday morning at the Team-in-Training booth so stop by and say hello if you are in town. I should be there from 9 AM - 12 PM. Until next time, count your blessings, kiss your loved ones, and be thankful for the ability to do what we love. Running has really changed my life. I am truly blessed. I just can't say that enough.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder, its hard to believe it was that long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was eight months pregnant with my oldest son on that day, and my friends kept me from the coverage because they thought it would be too intense for me. They were right. It was devastating and sadly the beginning of the loss of our innocence as a country.

    I have wanted to do OKC since I heard about it, and I know that regardless of my finish time, it will be one of the most powerful moments in my running career.

    ReplyDelete