Tracking

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Another Stanley Draper Ride

I look up and it's already 9:40 PM on Tuesday. Where does the time go? It's been a busy couple of days already this week and really no signs of slowing down anytime soon. I am really looking forward to a race-filled weekend ahead. I picked up my two race packets this week and have my bibs for the 33-mile bike tour and the 10k run. It feels so great to be talking about a race coming up! It's been since the marathon on Dec 13th, 2009 since I have laced up the shoes and put on a bib. I can't wait!

Yesterday I ran a quick 2 miles on the treadmill at the gym to test out the old knees and start getting in some mileage again. The knees were ok, but nothing spectacular. I will say there is a marked improvement from a few weeks ago so we are on the right track. I am still not sure how enjoyable this upcoming half marathon is going to be, but we shall see. It's still 2 1/2 weeks away so we have some time to get in some more miles and see how it goes from there. The tentative plan is to run the 10k this weekend, get in a few midweek runs over the next couple of weeks, and maybe run the 10k in Stillwater next weekend, followed by a 4 or so miles after the race. I haven't ran enough over the past month to afford myself the usual taper so we will just have to go with the flow. The bright side is that I don't have anything planned for May except for the final stages of my triathlon training and then the Capital of Texas triathlon on May 31st.

Today we did another ride out at Stanley Draper after work. This time our group only consisted of 4 people so we decided to explore a little more and go east from the lake and hit the hills of eastern Oklahoma county. I really enjoyed getting out of the city again and being in the "country" if you can call it that. The hills were a good workout and I really enjoy riding with that group. I can't think of a better way to spend a Tuesday evening ride honestly. I reached an all-new personal record for mileage with 26.1 miles this evening as well. My Garmin went dead on me mid-ride so I had to rely on someone else's GPS to give me the official tally. I knew I should have charged that thing last night when I was sitting at my computer. Oh well, it will be charged and ready for the weekend fun.

One last note : the company I work for, Chesapeake Energy, was recently named to Outside Magazines Top 50 Places to Work for the 2nd year in a row. It really is a blessing to work at such a great company that promotes a healthy, active lifestyle in so many different ways. I am thankful everyday for the blessings in my life. I really have nothing to complain about and those times when I get grumpy and start thinking negative, I just remind myself that it could be a lot worse. It's really amazing how much of a positive influence all of this training, fundraising, and relationship building has had on my entire life. I am grateful every day for being put in this spot at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment