Tracking

Friday, March 26, 2010

Birthday Week

Wow, what a week?!? Sorry it's been so long since I have posted, but I honestly haven't gotten home before 10 PM any night this week, except for tonight. Tonight I am spending a quiet night alone at the house. Just what the doctor ordered! The rest of the week has been packed with NCAA women's tournament games, dinners with clients, birthday parties, and group swim. I think I am finally going to settle back into a routine so hopefully I can get back to blogging more regularly over the next few weeks.

First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who attended my birthday party/fundraiser last night at Midtown Deli. It was a great crowd and we raised nearly $500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! Midtown Deli agreed to host my benefit night and donate 20% of all sales to my Team-in-Training campaign. I also set up donation boxes where people could drop in money and a few of my friends brought private donations as well. It was just a great event and I had a ton of fun celebrating my birthday and raising money with good friends. I do wish some of my family could have attended, but I do know it's tough to make it to OKC on a Thursday night. Maybe next time I can schedule something closer to home or on a weekend.

Sad news concerning my race calendar. I was supposed to do my first race of the season tomorrow at the March in Okarche. Due to complications with my knee, I have decided to postpone my spring debut to the Redbud in April. I still haven't been able to shake this pesky knee problem, but I am still biking and swimming religiously. The knee is better, just not race ready yet. Maybe in 2 more weeks we will be good to go. Due to the knee, my running has been non-existent for nearly 3 weeks now. It's a little concerning, but I know I am getting plenty of cross-training in on the bike and in the pool. I hope when all heals up, I can get back out on the road fairly easily. I am somewhat concerned the lack of running is going to force me to really look closely at doing the OKC Memorial Half Marathon. As of now, it is still on the calendar, but I haven't ran over 8 miles yet this year and don't want to go in limping. Only time will tell I guess.

For my birthday I also bought myself a very great present! I have been a huge Dixie Chicks fan for years and years. When I saw that they were going to be on tour this summer, I immediately started looking for ways to get somewhere to see them. It just turns out that they are going to be in Chicago on Sat, June 19th so I found me a partner in crime and bought tickets to see the Chicks with the Eagles and Keith Urban at Soldier Field! To top it all off, we are going to make this an ultimate country music road trip by catching Sugarland in concert in Kansas City on the 18th and then drive the rest of the way to Chicago on the 19th. I also will get to see a friend from college who now lives in Chicago now. It's going to be a great All-American road trip! Can't wait! The only thing that would make it better is if Miranda Lambert was playing somewhere on our way home on the 20th :-)

Well, I am absolutely beat so I am signing off and going to bed. It has been a great week and I really am thankful for all of my friends and family who have been nothing but supportive of me as I continue to push myself to new limits. I know it's not easy dealing with my schedule and I will always be appreciative of everyone's role in my journey to being a better friend, marathoner, triathlete, and son. Thank you to Holly and Katie, Laurie and Amy, Jerry and Deana, Aunt Kay, and everyone who attended my party last night. Together we have officially crossed the $2500 mark in fundraising this week! I will send off the funds Monday so you can see an updated fundraising total soon. Have a great night everyone. This guy is going to bed. Zzzzzz......

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea to have a fund raising birthday party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Bday!! I agree, great idea with the fund raising bday party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by guys! I was really happy with the fundraising party. Good reason to get together with friends and raise some money!

    ReplyDelete