Tracking

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Swim, Bike, Run - Starting to come together

Can't believe it's been a full week since I have posted. I wasn't home during the evenings this past week so I guess I have an excuse. It sure puts a damper on the workouts when you have customers come in to visit. Luckily I think it will slow down for a few weeks and I can focus on getting into a routine with my training again.

So, good news on all fronts this week. I got in a swimming workout by myself on Wednesday night and really focused on doing the drills we learned in class last weekend. I only was going half-lengths in the pool and concentrated on form and breathing. I am taking baby steps towards becoming a better swimmer. I have a lot of bad habits I need to break, but I am making progress.

Swim class yesterday was much more relaxed and I felt much better after leaving. We had a different instructor and he automatically asked me if I was a runner when he watched me swim. He said he could tell because my legs naturally sink. It was kind of a compliment because he said my legs were so lean and muscular that I would struggle maintaining perfect balance in the water, until I found out what worked for me. He was much more positive than the last guy and told me that I would definitely get it soon. I was encouraged and am actually pretty excited to get back in the water this week to continue working on my stroke.

Two more exciting things happened this week. I went for my first run in nearly a month on Friday and I LOVED it! It was so great to get back to running. I only did 2 miles, but it was a nice, easy, relaxed run and I was pleasantly surprised it went so smoothly. No real noticeable pain in the Achilles post-run so we are making progress. I have one more physical therapy appointment and then I will be on my own. The plan is to run 2 to 3 miles every other day for a few weeks and then amp up the running for the half marathon if all goes well.

Next, the really, really exciting thing this week : I bought my first road bike! Woo hoo! I am definitely ready to start conquering the bike now. I got a sweet deal at Schlegel's here in OKC and took the plunge yesterday. I ended up getting a 2009 Orbea Onix TDA all-carbon bike on clearance and upgraded the pedals to LOOK brand clipless pedals. I also bought my helmet and shoes and am ready to go. I even bought a cycling bib so i can ride in comfort from the get-go. I still need to purchase a rack for my car so I can transport my bike, but I am hoping I can just slide it my car since my seats fold down. That will be my experiment today.

Here is a pic of the new ride:

Pretty sweet, huh?!? Only thing left now is to plan my race schedule and learn how to ride this beast. It's been a while since I have ridden a bike and I know there are many things I need to learn about racing which brings me to my next point, the triathlon.

So, a week ago I was pretty bummed out after swimming class and had pretty much written off the triathlon in the short-term. After talking with several people and e-mailing back and forth with Team-in-Training (TNT), I have reevaluated my position. It's really odd how things come about, but over the past week, the TNT program keeps popping up in front of me everywhere I go. When I went to Schlegel's to get sized for my bike, the owner was wearing a TNT jacket and turns out he is a cycling coach for their triathlon training program. Another girl that works at the shop is also a cycling coach and prepares people for their century ride in August. I also talked to a couple of people who went through the program last year and everyone said the swimming would come and I would be ok. I am definitely leaning towards joining the program this week. I go to a meeting on Tuesday to get more information and then I will make my final decision. Crazy how things come full circle. It's all about believing in yourself and having support along the way. I know I will work hard enough to make it happen. Maybe it's time to take the plunge.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet ride!!!

    I'm glad you are re-thinking the tri for the short term, you can do it. I can't wait to hear all about your training. I think a tri is going to be my goal next year, this year I'm aiming for a marathon. You're going to do great, I've heard really good things about TNT.

    ReplyDelete