Tracking

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Experimenting with the Brick

I got a little stir crazy today and finally took the Mazda out on the roads. My little guy doesn't take too well to the icy roads, but I HAD to get out and do something active today.

After watching my O-State Cowgirls pick up a HUGE win on the road against Texas A&M, I packed my gym bag and headed downtown to the Y since Midtown and CHK were both closed today. I think everyone else had the same idea as me because that place was packed. I don't think I have ever been to a gym on a Sunday and it be that busy. I guess everyone else had a case of cabin fever as well. Oh yeah, I also ran into Megan, one of my tri coaches with TNT as I was walking up to the gym. She told me she went to swim on Friday at Aspen, that's true dedication. I guess that explains why she is doing Half-Iron distance triathlons and I am only training for the Olympic distance. I better get in the game!

It was nice to go back downtown for a change. It's a lot bigger and has better equipment than the Midtown Y, but the crowds during the week make it unbearable. I like being able to walk into Midtown and just grab a machine. However, there is something divine about having a stationary bike and treadmill that have fans on them :-) It sure helps keep the sweat out of my eyes.

I didn't have any set plan when I went to the gym so I just kind of rolled with the punches. I found an empty bike so I hopped on there and logged a good 45 minutes on the stationary bike. I just put it on random setting and it took me through a progression of hills. My goal is to always keep my RPMs above 100 when I am on the stationary bike. I don't even know if that is good, but it seems like it is a pretty good workout so I just stick with it. After the bike, I thought it would be kind of fun to run for a bit just to get my body used to the sensation. I hopped on the treadmill and ran a mile just for the heck of it. It was all in all a pretty decent workout after being a lazy bum for 3 straight days.

We also got our official training schedule for the CapTex Tri today. We have an online account set up through Training Peaks and it will send us daily e-mail reminders with our workouts for the day. It doesn't actually start until Feb 9th so I have another week of "freestyle" before the structure begins. It works out great that way because I will miss quite a few days for my trip to Angel Fire this week. Skiing is just around the corner!

Have a great start to your week my blogger friends. Happy training!

Bike - 12.63 miles in 45 minutes
Run - 1.0 miles in 9:20

1 comment:

  1. I use Training Peaks, and purchased my training plan through it! Good luck with the tri training!! :)

    ReplyDelete