Tracking

Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010 : Resolutions and More New Beginnings

2009 : Definitely a benchmark year for me. Reflecting on the past year makes me very happy with where my life is headed and I can't say that I would change much of anything about it. I was able to go through a year without too many hiccups and was able to find a new passion along the way. In February, I harmlessly started running as a way to get me off my butt and in better shape and I ended the year completing my first marathon and a renewed sense of accomplishment and purpose. I have my sights set on bigger and better things in 2010. I want to make it better and even more exciting than 2009. With a lot of hard work and a lot of dedication, I am confident that 2010 will be another benchmark year for me. I am focused, I am confident, I am ready. Bring it 2010!

Here is my official list of resolutions for 2010:

1) Racing weight - Ideally I find myself nearing my racing weight by the end of the year. Right now I clock in at about 188 pounds...I need to be about 170-175 to be lean and mean. It is well within sight and I plan on making it happen.

2) Steward of the environment - Reduce, reuse, recycle - There is no reason why I can't make an impact with the way I consume. I hope to become a smarter, more efficient inhabitant of this planet

3) Swim, bike, run - Yep, I am making it a public goal. I want to do my first triathlon this year - either a sprint or Olympic distance. More details to come soon!

4) Run smarter and injury-free - My first year of running hasn't been error free. I have had a case of hip bursitis and Achilles problems. My goal is to become a better and smarter runner. Strength training, more cross-training, and smarter training will become a regular part of my routine.

5) Run another marathon - My goal is to run a fall marathon again this year. I want to shave off at least 15 minutes and run a sub-4 hour marathon. Chicago is my number one choice at the moment.

6) Inspire others - I want to continue to be a positive, healthy influence on my family and friends. If I can inspire others to get active and start running it will make what I am doing that much more worthwhile.

7) Drink less - I need to cut the drinking habit a bit to be what I really want to be down the road. Sure, I still will have beers with my friends and enjoy a football tailgate, but I need to cut out the weekend binges at the bar. It does absolutely no good in the long run. It only negates all the hard work from my week of training.

8) Give more - I need to give more of myself and give more of my resources. Volunteer, donate, and help my family and friends without ever second guessing it.

9) Don't be afraid - Be more confident and trust myself to do whatever it takes to succeed. Don't be scared to fail and just make it happen. I need to apply this to every aspect of my life, not just running and triathlons

10) Get out of my comfort zone - I often catch myself sitting at home not wanting to go do things because I am comfortable. I need to push myself to expand my horizons and try new things. Go to dinner with someone I don't know too well, visit places by myself, join new groups, expand my network.

If I can implement all or many of the above resolutions, I will have a banner year in 2010. I hope everyone has a blessed, safe, and prosperous 2010. I know there will be bumps in the road, but I am confident I can overcome whatever is thrown my way. Happy training everyone! More updates to come about race plans for 2010!

2 comments:

  1. Love your resolutions! It sounds like if you can get #7 - #10 down, the rest will fall into play! Love #10, especially because for me, that one has been the key to my life and love! Best of luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great set of resolutions... and very attainable!

    I love that you included something about inspiring others to get active and healthy! Such a good resolution that we should all implement.

    Good luck to you in 2010!!

    ReplyDelete