Tracking

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

More Snow and Physical Therapy

Well, it's happening again...that beautiful white stuff is falling from the sky. This time it is a peaceful, slow snow which is fun to watch from the couch, the car, or the office. It's definitely a stark contrast to the sideways snow and fierce winds from last week. I am not sure how anyone in their right mind could hate this kind of snow. It's just so calming.

Today was the first day of physical therapy and I had a new therapist. She is about 30 or so and really knows her stuff. I was much more impressed with her than the last guy I had back in June. She talked to me and took detailed notes, asked a lot of questions, took several different measurements, examined my gait, and tested my flexibility/strength. It was a very thorough visit and I left feeling that I made progress and even scheduled another appointment for next week which really wasn't in the plans initially since I have to pay for this out-of-pocket. After her analysis, we found out once again that I need to stretch more. I am tight as a drum and it definitely leads to problems when I start tacking on the miles. She said surprisingly enough, I am more flexible on the left side (Achilles problem) than my right side, but she said it is probably due to the fact that I have been concentrating on it the past few weeks. Regardless, she stressed the fact that I need to do more stretching and incorporate more cross-training which I already have been hounding myself about anyway. Believe me, it is on the resolution list that will be debuting soon.

After going over some exercises I could do on my own, she recommended that I wear a medicated patch on the affected area for 24 hours and then really start to apply the Voltaren cream that I got from the doc back before the marathon. For some reason I bought this $74 tube of cream 3 weeks ago and completely forgot about it. I don't know why or how, but it happened. I guess my mind has been on other things. It is now out and ready to be applied when I take this patch off tomorrow afternoon. All in all, she said I was actually doing pretty well and the extra time off I took late during my training and the added cross-training the last week or so seems to have really helped. She told me to do the stretches and exercises she showed me and to keep up the cross-training and I should be good to go in a few weeks. It was a great visit and I look forward to getting back on track and running more in the near future.

I am now finalizing those lists of goals/resolutions for 2010 and am excited to finally reveal them to anyone that cares. The main thing is that I will have them written out in front of me and hopefully you guys will help hold me accountable. Have fun celebrating the end of 2009! I will be bringing in the new year in downtown OKC and then will be heading south to Dallas for a weekend full of OSU Cowboy football. Go Cowboys! Beat Ole Miss!

P.S. I will be making my first visit to Luke's Locker this weekend. Any other cool stores I should check out in the Dallas area? I will be staying near downtown.

2 comments:

  1. You're in Dallas this weekend? RunOn! Is another good running store. They are on Mockingbird and they also have a store in Coppell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, heading down to the Cotton Bowl to watch my OSU Cowboys play. I will try to swing by RunOn! Hopefully we have time to shop while we are there.

    ReplyDelete