Tracking

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Days 113-115 : The Cold is Settling In

Yep, the cold weather finally made it back to Oklahoma and I think we may be settling into winter finally. After one of the warmest Novembers on record I think we all got spoiled and thought it was supposed to be 60s and 70s all year round. Reality check!

I actually like the cold, but I haven't had to get out and run in it lately due to the lingering injury concerns. I have opted for cross-training the past 2 days because Monday and Tuesday were not good days for the old Achilles. I had a knot on the side of my left Achilles on Monday when I woke up and it has slowly given away to a small bump and is not nearly as noticeable pain-wise. I got really concerned on Monday, but my fears are easing a bit. I have scheduled a doctor's appointment for next Tuesday, which was a chore in itself. It took several phone calls, a lucky cancellation, and me rescheduling a business visit to finally get into see my running doc. I want to get it checked out and get another opinion before I dive into the marathon next weekend. I want to limit the long term impact of this injury and if that means I have to postpone my marathon adventure then so be it. I hope that's not the case though.

I am a little concerned I won't be in tip-top shape for the marathon. I have opted not to run this week due to how the Achilles reacted to the 12 mile run this weekend. I figure since my mileage is so low this week and next that it wouldn't kill me to just substitute cross-training for the running. However, it's not the last 2 weeks that concern me, it's the previous 2 1/2 weeks. My running has been pretty limited since I did the 18 mile run on Nov 8th. I have done a lot of cross-training and haven't lost my cardiovascular fitness, but the running fitness will definitely be lacking on race day. I know my adrenaline will be rushing so that will help, but there is that voice in my head telling me to slow the pace down and just try to finish. I think that voice will win out in the long run. I know it's going to be a fight to the finish.

Time to get ready for bed. The evenings just keep flying by and tomorrow is our company Christmas party. I guess it will keep me from running so that's not necessarily a bad thing at this point.

Tuesday, December 1st : 47 minutes on the stationary bike (replaced 4 miles running)

Wednesday, December 2nd : 65 minutes on the stationary bike (replaced 6 miles running)

Updated weather forecast from Accuweather.com:

Saturday, Dec 12
High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 65 °F
Partly sunny








Saturday Night, Dec 12
Low: 47 °F RealFeel®: 45 °F
Partly cloudy








Sunday, Dec 13
High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F
Partly sunny








Sunday Night, Dec 13
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Partly cloudy with a shower late

No comments:

Post a Comment