Tracking

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Days 80-84 : Halloween Disaster

What a crappy way to end a Halloween night?!? OSU got absolutely manhandled by Texas in front of a sellout crowd at Boone Pickens Stadium. It was such a waste of a great crowd and perfect weather. I wish things would have turned out differently, but now it's back to playing for a good bowl game and see where the chips fall.

Halloween was rather hit and miss this year. We had our annual Halloween party at work on Friday and that was really the only thing I did even semi-related to the holiday. I didn't dress up in Stillwater, although quite a few people were dressed up at the bars on Friday night. I was a little surprised more people didn't dress up for the game, but I guess it was a good excuse not to which was what I used this year. I have never been a huge fan of Halloween. If it wasn't for the work party, I would probably never dress up.

I did get another full week of running in which was nice. It's two weeks straight that I haven't had to switch out a run for a cross-training workout or skip a day for extra rest. I did feel a little heavy and tired today, but that was due to the lack of discipline I showed this weekend. I have been very bad on football weekends in Stillwater. I am not sure why I decide it's ok to drink too much beer, eat horrible food, and get very little sleep when I go to Stillwater. It does me no good when it comes to training and it obviously doesn't help shed these few extra pounds I am trying to slice off before the marathon. Fortunately, we only have 2 more home games this year and I have made a pact with myself to be focused, disciplined, and motivated to eat, sleep, and drink well the final 6 weeks of training. It should allow me to go into the marathon leaner, well rested, and ready to do well.

Daylight savings time also is going to reek havoc with my training schedule. I need to figure out a way to work in my Wednesday "sorta" long runs the next few weeks. I go up the mileage ladder again this week and now have to squeeze in 9 miles after work. I typically can get out of the office about 4:30 so that leaves me with just about an hour or so before it gets dark. I don't really mind running at night if I can find a place I feel comfortable with on a normal basis. Lake Hefner has its moments. For being the primary city running trail, it really is poorly lit and not very well patrolled by local police. The last few times I have been out there, a car has been broken into recently. A pile of glass awaits to remind everyone to keep valuables at home or securely locked away out of sight. My neighborhood also isn't the safe haven that I would like either. I could probably run in my neighborhood, but I would have to do 1 mile loops in the area that I feel is semi-safe. I am leaning towards Hefner, but will be on the lookout for potential running spots the next few days. Nichols Hills is always a good option and it may win out. Traffic will be an issue there though. The treadmill is definitely not an option.

It's hard to believe it, but it's only 6 weeks to the marathon. Runner's World has selected the White Rock as their race of the month too! It should be exciting hitting the streets with 20k other people and my loved ones meeting me along the way. Ha, I have a feeling I will have to train my onlookers as well. I hope to be able to give each of them some gels, some fluid, and a map of places to meet me along the way so I don't have to carry all of that stuff with me on the course. My mom was also able to shuffle her schedule around and will be making the trip as planned. There was some concern she couldn't get her work moved, but we jumped the hurdle. I also think I am going to send out a Facebook invite about 2 weeks out and let everyone know of my plans. I really don't want to send it out any sooner than that for fear that it may jinx me the next few weeks. Only 3 tough weeks left and then it's the taper. I can't wait!

Wednesday, October 28th : 8.0 miles in 1:12:47 (9:06 pace)

Thursday, October 29th : 5.0 miles in 47:55 (9:35 pace)

Sunday, November 1st : 12.0 miles in 1:51:47 (9:19 pace)

Total October Mileage : 103 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment