Tracking

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Days 110-112 : Is It Already Over?

Wow, where did the last 4 days go? All of a sudden I look up and it's time to go back to work. Talk about a bummer! I guess holiday weekends are always that way. You get time off from work, but you are traveling and doing things that you never really get a chance to soak in the extra days away from the office. Back to the grind. Can you believe it's December in 2 days?!

Well, good news for all of you actually following along leading up to the marathon! I managed to get in 12 miles today and am feeling ok about it still. I woke up this morning about 8 AM and did some pre-run preparation at the apartment. I had the usual whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and jelly and did a few stretches in the living room. The weather took a turn towards late fall/early winter finally so I actually had to pull out the long sleeves today. It was also a bit rainy so I put on my Brooks jacket and gloves and hit the road.

I opted for running in the neighborhood this morning because I really didn't feel like running at the lake because I knew it would be colder there. I also was kind of in a time crunch so I figured being close to home would eliminate some of the time needed to get in my run. Another perk was the ability to leave water and Gatorade at the corner of my block so I could hydrate without having to carry fluids with me.

The run started off about the same as the last 3 weeks or so. The first half mile was pretty routine and everything felt good, but soon after the heel started the usual burn/ache. It never really eased up the entire run but I made myself get through 12 miles to makes sure I could at least get to that point. I also wanted to see how I felt after I ran for that length. I know I haven't ran anything over 3 or 4 miles the past week or two, but I felt pretty fresh at the end of my run and it left me encouraged and optimistic. Obviously the run wasn't ideal, but it was a good indication that the marathon dream is still intact.

The pain is stubborn though. I still feel it now and it is 8 hours after the run. I have iced and stretched a few times already today and will keep up that regimen for the next 2 weeks. Again, the pain never really got to the point where I felt I needed to stop, but it never really was comfortable either. I am definitely resigned to the fact that I will be running with some level of discomfort in my first marathon. My hope is that it won't get worse in the later stages of the race, but it is still a big unknown so I will just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Only 2 more weeks until the marathon. I am a weather nerd so this next section is basically for my own viewing pleasure, but it will give you an idea of what the weather will be like on race day. I am going to start posting an update on the forecast for Sunday, Dec 13th with each of my posts leading up to race day. My source will be Accuweather.com for now. They have a 15 day extended forecast so here is what they show for Dallas on race day:

Saturday, Dec 12
High: 48 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Cloudy with a shower in the afternoon
Saturday Night, Dec 12
Low: 41 °F RealFeel®: 35 °F
Mostly cloudy







Sunday, Dec 13
High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Cloudy and warmer













So far it looks pretty decent for a marathon. My only hope is that the wind is light. Stay tuned for more weather updates!

Sunday, November 29th : 12.05 miles in 1:53:43 (9:26 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment