Tracking

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Days 102-105 : X-Train and R.I.C.E

The "vacation" has been superb. My spirits are high and I am very well-rested. It was just what the doctor ordered at this point in my training.

After the debacle on Wednesday, I have continued to try and think positively. I am doing what I can to get to the starting line in 3 weeks and that's all that I can control. I started my week of healing with a nice 50 minutes on the stationary bike on Thursday. I slept in until 8 AM and then went to our health center on campus and took my H1N1 vaccination. It was available so I figured I might as well get it. It never hurts to be prepared. After my immunization shot, I went to the Midtown Y and picked a spot among the other happy non-workers on a Thursday morning and turned on my tunes. Nothing too major to write home about other than the fact that I enjoyed the workout and started my day off the right way.

After the workout, I went home and did some stuff around the house for a few hours before the trip to Stillwater for our first Thursday night home game in nearly 14 years. It was definitely different being at a football game on a Thursday, but it was a fun game and the weather was great. Anytime I can wear a hooded sweatshirt and jeans I am happy. That's ideal weather in my book. I don't like hot or warm. I like cool and crisp! My Cowboys managed to keep things interesting all game and we needed a 4th quarter TD and a defensive stop to pull out a hard-fought victory. 9-2 and 6-1 in the conference and one game left! Bedlam baby! Beat OU!!

Friday was another day of rest and relaxation. It was cloudy and cool out so it was a great day to sit on the couch and rest the Achilles. I switched on the DVR and relaxed for hours. I recharged the batteries quite often this week and I can definitely tell it's paying off in my mood and demeanor. I was really becoming quite irritable the past few weeks and I think it was due to a little bit of overtraining and no time off from work. I really couldn't have asked for a better time to be off. Now I just need to continue to nurse the wounds and keep a positive outlook. I think with mental toughness and smart care I can make this happen.

Saturday was supposed to be my last long run of my training period. I had planned on 20 miles at Lake Hefner, but due to being held up by my Achilles, I switched the workout to some indoor cross-training to minimize impact and still maintain the cardiovascular benefits. I opted for 65 minutes on the stationary bike followed by 65 minutes on the elliptical. I contemplated trying to get in another 65 minutes on another machine, but wanted to make sure I was being smart. Plus, I was bored out of my mind. There really is nothing interesting about standing/sitting in one spot for over 2 hours. It was ridiculous. I was happy with the overall effort and hope it will help me out in the long-run. I realize the benefits of the 20 miler would have been huge both physically and mentally, but I think I would have further jeopardized my ability to do the marathon if I tried to push through 20 miles this weekend.

The plan now is to rest today and tomorrow. I haven't decided whether I will run on Tuesday yet. Part of me wants to, but part of me thinks I should wait another day. The 1st taper week calls for 5 miles, 8 miles, 4 miles, and 12 miles. I may just do 2 weeks of the 2nd taper week instead. That would give me runs of 4, 6, 3, and 8 for the next two weeks leading up to the marathon. I am still undecided though. The point now is to maintain and persevere. Healthy feet are happy feet :-)

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to throw them my way. I am more than willing to take any advice given. I just want to give this a go if it's possible. Only 3 more weeks. It's getting really, really close.

No comments:

Post a Comment