Tracking

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Days 33-35 : Bummer in Stillwater

Week 5 has officially come to a close on the road to the White Rock Marathon. This weekend was yet again action-packed and full of fun. Friday night was my 2nd Sugarland concert in about a month's time. This time it was closer to home and an outdoor event so it was a different experience. Somehow nearly 10,000 people crammed into the OKC Zoo Amphitheater to witness the show. The opening acts were Matt Nathanson and Billy Currington. My only complaint was the set lengths of the opening acts. They were very short and really didn't let you get a feel for their style on stage. I was pleased with both and would like to see them again in their own setting. Sugarland was once again amazing. Jennifer just sounds so pure and talented when she sings. I really enjoy their shows.

Saturday was another game day in Stillwater. This time my mom went with me and we drove up early Saturday morning to enjoy the festivities. The forecast called for a wet and soggy day so we loaded up our ponchos, extra set of clothes, towels, and headed northbound on I-35. Mom and I got to Stillwater about 10:15 am and made our way to the local shops, looking around at everything orange, and enjoyed some lunch at the Student Union. I also picked up a super cool Under Armour OSU backpack that I will use for the gym and any short trips I make for races in the near future. After shopping, we joined up with my OSU-mates, Megan and Brandon, and tailgated for a bit. My mom isn't a drinker, so she just sat around and hung out with all of the rest of us, listening to stories about people she didn't know, and trying to stay somewhat entertained. I behaved myself quite nicely and we meandered over to "The Walk" to cheer on the Pokes as they made their way to the stadium. The crowd was great once again and spirits were high leading up to the game. We made our way to the stadium about 1:45 and watched the pre-game festivities. Much to my dismay, the same couple that sat behind me last year, had renewed their seats as well. These two people are the most negative people I have ever met. They constantly talk negatively about the players and coaches and every time OSU makes a mistake on the field you would think the world is coming to an end. They have no positive, optimistic bones in their body. It is quite sickening listening to them honestly. I am going to make it a point to move my seats next year. I can't take it any more. I thought maybe I was just overreacting about it, but my mom made the same comment after the game. She was like, "I don't know how you sit by them every game." Well mom, next year it won't happen. I will find a new home in BPS. After all the gloom and doom from the people above me, OSU did end up losing the game and it was very disappointing. I expected it to be a good game, but figured we would pull it out. No such luck. Time to regroup and get ready for the next one. The dreams of the BCS Championship are gone, but every other dream and goal is still intact. Regardless of the outcome, I will always show up and wear my orange with pride. Go Pokes!

Today was my long run of the week. I woke up about 8:45 and got out the door about 9:15. I ended up going to Lake Hefner again due to the weather and the ease of running there. I have ran it several times so I know the distance well and I can visualize the run better if I know exactly where I am going. This was my first training run in the rain as well. I have to admit I kind of enjoyed it. I started out my run in a light drizzle and by the time I hit mile 6, the skies opened up for a bit and I was completely soaked from miles 7-10. It was rather refreshing running in the quiet of the rain. There weren't many other people out on the trails and it was still early enough that a lot of people were still in church so the road traffic was minimal. I had a blast running the last few miles. From the Garmin upload, you can definitely tell this as well. My pace increased signficantly when it started raining. I was humming along at a 9:30ish pace for the first six miles and the last 4 were nearly 8:50. I think I might like running in the rain. All in all, it was a great 10-mile run. I am very pleased with my progress and am ready for another week. I can't believe it's already been 5 weeks. Only 13 more to go!

Sunday, September 13th : 10.01 miles in 1:33:39 (9:21 pace)

Here is a pic of my Mom and I at "The Walk"

No comments:

Post a Comment