Tracking

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Is it Friday yet?

It's been a few days since the last update so thought I would give you a little glimpse into the week so far. As usual, nothing too special going on really. The usual work, gym, and eat routine of the working man's life. I did get one more run in this week so far which was nice. It was not quite as wonderful as Sunday's run, but I had to give it 2 thumbs up for definite progress. I also kept the cross-training streak alive. I did the stationary bike on Monday and today so still trying to build up that endurance base and get ready for August when the real training kicks in.

At one time, August seemed like so far away. Now it is less than 6 weeks to the start of my 18-week training schedule. I have adjusted my goals somewhat for Dallas. After my half marathon, I really wanted to run hard and run well. I thought I was immune to those silly running injuries that other people get when they train. Ha, boy was I wrong. I am now approaching this first marathon with a goal to finish and have fun. I still have a time goal in my head, but I won't share that at this time. I fear that if I start publicly stating a time that I will push myself too hard in order to reach it. I do think I will do well, but I mainly want to finish and have fun. Maybe I will save my best performance for the 10th anniversary run of the OKC Marathon. Can you believe registration starts in like 2 months?!

In other news, I recently started chatting with a guy at the gym who happens to be a runner as well. I have always noticed him at the gym, but never really felt it necessary to strike up conversation because usually I am listening to music or occupied by my workout partners. Turns out he is a pretty nice guy. Interesting, intelligent, and likes to run. It's nice to strike up some friendships with fellow runners because most of my other friends think I am crazy. He invited me over to his 40th birthday party that he and his wife are throwing next weekend so I think I will go. Allison's birthday is that weekend as well so it will be a birthday celebration type weekend. He also invited me along to run the Austin marathon/half marathon with his group of friends. It seems like a great way to meet some other runners and expand that friendship base in OKC.

I forgot to include my mileage in my last update so here goes for the last few days:


July 2nd : Third run of the week. Walked for 10 minutes at 4.4 mph. Ran for 15 minutes at 6.0 mph. 1.5 miles of running then 10 minutes of cooldown at 4.5 mph. Total of 2.96 miles in 35 minutes. 11:49 pace

July 5th : First great run. Warmed up with 10 min of walking at 4.3 to 4.7 mph pace. Ran for 20 min at 10 min/mi pace. Cooled down with 10 min of walking. Total of 3.46 miles in 40 minutes. 11:34 pace

July 7th : Walked for 10 minutes at 4.3-4.6mph pace and then ran for 15 minutes at 10 min/mile pace (1.5 miles). I ended with 10 minutes of walking at 4.3-4.5 mph pace. Total of 2.97 miles in 35 minutes. 11:47 pace

Not too much excitement, but it's progress. Little by little I am increasing my runs. Tomorrow is my next doctor's appointment. I think I can safely say I have made some progress and may not have to go back for a few months unless something flairs up. Another run tomorrow and then one this weekend. I may go for back-to-back days next week. We will see how it feels.

Take care.

6 comments:

  1. yay! bryan in austin!! do it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, where is this summer going?? I completely missed June and don't even remember it. I swear as I get older, each year goes faster. I'm going to be 50 before I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work. I am currently training for my first 5K. The Best of the Boardrooms Virtual 5K. Since their on ground 5K is in Colorado and won't be able to make it, I figured a virtual 5K is the same thing.

    Good luck with the training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Austin! It is on my short list to run anyway. Maybe you can run with us too Jane. Hope the wedding was great. Sorry I missed the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, I know Denise. I am not 27, am I? Where did the past 5 years go? I can't be that far out of college! Good luck with the Ultra. I just stumbled over to your blog and added it to my list. Look forward to a race report!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stuart, that is really cool. I have never even heard of the Virtual 5K but I just did a quick Google search for it. Where are you going to run yours? Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete