Tracking

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Has it really been a week?

Wow, I didn't realize it had been an entire week since I wrote a blog. Time flies.

It was a pretty good week all in all. We had some customers visit at the first of the week and I was able to see Karsten Creek for the first time ever. Karsten is the home golf course of the OSU Cowboys and it was quite amazing. I attempted my luck at golf, but once again I was miserable. I just really don't like the sport that much. I lose interest very quickly and my swing motion is so in tune with tennis and softball that I have a natural tendency shank the ball. I really don't care to fix it either. I just don't ever really see myself being a golfer. It's just not that fun. The only reason I would want to golf is to own all the cool OSU gear they had at the pro shop there. It was amazing!

Wednesday was the softball clinic that CHK sponsored for family members. The USA softball team visited the CHK campus and went through a basic skills camp for girls age 8-18. My niece came up and participated in the camp and had a great time. She got to hang out with the likes of Jennie Finch, Cat Osterman, Natasha Watley, and the rest of the USA softball team. They went through the basics of throwing, fielding, and the mental aspects of the game with the girls. They also did a Q&A session and signed autographs for about an hour. It was a really great experience for all the girls present and I know it goes a long way in keeping them motivated to play sports in a society where women athletes are not revered as much as their male counterparts. Female athletes truly play for the love of the game. I think that is why I have a deep respect for all female athletes and will continue to actively support women's athletics.

This weekend was pretty uneventful actually. Friday night was pretty tame which was just what the doctor ordered. Doug, Curt, and I met up with Allison and Kevin at Edna's for a few birthday drinks and really enjoyed catching up outside of work. It's a lot easier to be yourself and just talk when you aren't at the office. Saturday night was my adventure to Scott's 40th birthday party. I showed up about 45 minutes late to make sure there were plenty of people there to deflect some of the attention. Since I was going stag, I knew I would have to post up somewhere and start talking to people or otherwise it would be 2 weekends in a row that I failed the social experiment. I actually had a really good time. It was a very eclectic gathering of people. Most were friends from the neighborhood or friends from the gym. It was nice to chat with some different people about absolutely nothing in particular. It was honestly a lot easier than I thought it would be going into it. I didn't really get a chance to talk to Scott much, but that's expected. The host is always busy entertaining and showing people around the house. I would have to say it was a pretty successful night. I met a few strangers who I am sure I will cross paths with again and I made an attempt to be a friend with a fellow runner in the community. I was pleased with my attempt at getting out of my box.

I also managed to get in 3 pretty decent runs this week. I am keeping with the theme of 2 miles every other day and then increasing my long runs by 1/2 mile (at least) on Sunday. I didn't have much of a chance to do cross-training this week due to the busy schedule, but I will get back into that routine this week. The hip continues to feel ok, but not great. It is uncomfortable at times, but it's not painful enough to warrant a stop. I think I am continuing to make baby steps in the right direction. The true test will be the long runs over the next few weeks. Today was my longest run since the injury. I ran 3 miles and it felt pretty good. I usually feel better at the end of my runs as the legs get loosened up. I hope that continues to hold true. Marathon training starts the week of Aug 10th. Only a few weeks left to build up the fitness base.

In other running news, I bought a Garmin! Yep, I pulled the trigger today. I had debated back and forth about whether to get a Forerunner 405cx or a Forerunner 310xt. I read a lot of reviews on the Forerunner 405cx and it was very mixed. I am a sweater. I sweat a lot when I run. I read a lot of negative reviews about the touch bezel and the fact that if your hands are wet when you touch it, it is non-responsive. No bueno for this wet runner. Since the 310xt is actually not out yet, I couldn't really read much about it as far as actual running use is concerned. I do like the waterproof feature, the ease of use in multi-sport settings (think triathlon in the future), and the vibrating alert feature when you reach or fall under certain set parameters during your run. I figured the versatility and better battery life would make a better all-around purchase for my first Garmin. It is actually on backorder since it is not released until this week and the estimated ship date is July 24th! I am very excited to get it in and give it a go. I will write my own review when I get a chance to try it out on the road. I am on doctor's orders to run on a treadmill until I reach the 4 or 5 mile mark on my long runs so I have a few more weeks before I can hit the pavement.

Here is a picture of the new purchase:


Believe me, I know it won't win any beauty contests, but it will get the job done. I bet all my triathlon friends are green with envy right now! I will let you guys know how it works. Another great feature is the waterproof heart rate monitor strap that is included as well. I know that doesn't mean much to me at the moment, but being able to wear your watch and your strap during the swimming portion of the triathlon has to be appealing. One of these days I will put that feature to use as well.

Time to get focused and ready for the week ahead. I am going to float the river in Noel, Missouri, this weekend with my friend Kari, her husband Scott, and some of their friends from Wichita. Another weekend outside of my box. What has gotten into me?!? Next thing you know, I will be telling you guys that I am dating someone. Ha, ok, maybe not. Take care everyone. It's been great reading all the race reports from those of you in running blog land. It continues to remind me why I am doing this in the first place.

July 14th - 3.11 miles - 35 minutes - 11:15 pace
Warm-up of 10 minutes walking, run 2 miles at 10 min pace, cool down of 5 minutes

July 16th - 2.86 miles - 32 minutes - 11:11 pace
Warm-up of 5 minutes walking, run 2 miles at 10 min pace, cool down of 7 minutes

July 19th - 4.34 miles - 50 minutes - 11:31 pace
Warm-up of 10 minutes, run 3 miles at 10 min pace, cool down of 10 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment