Tracking

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Excited and Encouraged

What a great weekend! It was just one of those weekends. I was in tennis heaven on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with great matches all around. Wimbledon is my favorite tournament of the year and this was the first time in a long time that I have had the opportunity to sit and watch the final 3 days. I was so happy for Andy Roddick and yet so heartbroken for him at the same time. He played nearly perfect and came up just short. I thought he played well enough to beat anyone except Federer. He played that well and Federer is just that great. Keep your head up Andy. I hope to see you playing in the finals in NYC in a couple of months.

Saturday was family day too. I went to Wynnewood to see some cousins and the grandparents before heading to Amber with the immediate family for some good 'ol small town firework fun. I forgot how much fun you can have when you put on your own show. My brothers picked out the arsenal and were responsible for the pyrotechnic display. They actually did a really good job and after $200 worth of explosives, I would say we all were happy and entertained. Many laughs were had and the weather was perfect after the rain. All in all, a great day with the family. I need to be a better son and visit more often. Maybe I will do a couple of training runs this fall down the back roads of Grady county.

The perfect end to the weekend was my 2-mile run today. It was pure enjoyment. I started off with just a brisk walk of 10 minutes and then started my run. One step, no pain. Two steps, no pain. Three steps, holy shit! I may not be hurting this time. Step after step was even more pleasant and only occasionally did I feel even the slightest bit of discomfort. All those days of watching tennis and stretching really must have paid off. I honestly think the best medicine was not sitting on our horribly uncomfortable chairs at the office for 8 hours straight. I can't even begin to explain how great it felt. I stopped myself at 2 miles and did a 10-minute cool down and headed for the stretching mats. I was elated. Finally, a run that felt good. Finally, a boost of confidence and a step in the right direction. Finally, I felt like a runner again. Now I just need to check my confidence at the door and make sure it doesn't lead me down the same injured path again. I am going to do a little cross-training the next couple of days and will get back to my running routine this week. My objective is to start my spring-training schedule this week and alternate running days with equivalent cross-training time on the non-running days. I think this will help put me back in a routine and get me back in shape for my marathon training that starts in 6 weeks. Slowly, but surely I am returning to form. Baby steps. Keep me in check people.

Off to finish a load of laundry and then to read. Have a great start to the week. Speak to you again soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I'm happy for you that you feel this way :-) It takes a while, but sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It is definitely a slow process but I am feeling better about my prospects to do well in December. Thanks for stopping by the blog!

    ReplyDelete